How often does chia check a plot?

I am hoping to optimise how much power my drives are using. How often are drives queried?

Could I for example spin down or park a drive and have it go ready quick enough to still be on the chia network?

By the time your drives spins back up the train has already passed!!!

I thought so, but how many second/ms between accesses do you figure on?

Plots are checked potentially every 9-10 seconds. But each plot has a 1 in 512 chance of passing a filter.

Realistically, if you want to be sure you don’t miss a proof, you need to spin your drives down just after each challenge and spin back up again before the next one. Doing this within 9-10 seconds is impossible and would kill your drive after as little as a few weeks/months.

Not worth it.

1 Like

Well that’s what I intend to find out. I work with a project that tests hard drives, several thousand tested so far and several million SMARTs read and stored.

It may be even just a head park and rpm reduction before spinning back up and flying the head again could save enough energy over time to be worth considering, given the low price/XCH.

Did a whole video on this topic

2 Likes

Actually there is a thread here that covered this aspect too, but it turned into a total shitshow.
Regardless of that I am planning to give idle B and C a chance with my small 6TB drives and verify power consumption.