How someone made my XCH disappear in their wallet

Yes and no, you had to use an (offline) app from them to generate an output string from your mnemonic and then use that string in their website.

Anyway, no not what we are looking for but the principle might be used.

Just need a way to farm plots without having the corresponding key in you main node. So that you can always use a “clean” set of keys to actually farm with and determine your pool and/or reward addresses with.

this is a link that offers some solutions directly from chia dev’s

1 Like

Thank you for that link!

I just did a search for python and vulnerabilities and got this page - Python - Security Vulnerabilities in 2022. When HTTP protocol is mentioned there, most certainly that also apply to port 8444 in Chia.

Stil, those are just Python vulnerabilities, where potentially most of vulnerabilities come from your own code.

So, making claims how secure Python is, etc. may be just ill founded. It is not the same as stating that there are problems with Python (rather far from it), just that vulnerabilities are potentially everywhere, and mostly are only discovered if there is an interest to hack a given product.

Actually I don’t think it’s really necessary anymore to have that port open. I have some forks running, they all use different ports from Chia. Mine are running in a VM in a host that uses a VPN without port forwarding set and they sync just fine.
Chia also has no problem syncing from behind VPN without port forwarding.

There are two separate issues here.

First, if you want to have your node be able to connect to some other node, either such node needs to open a port or there needs to be some service like STUN to let it happen. If neither is there (i.e., Chia doesn’t provide STUN service), nor any node opens that port, no one will be able to make a connection. Basically, a network collapse, so we can close shops.

The second is how you make your port open. Some people manipulate their firewalls directly. However, default installation has UPnP enabled (config.yaml UPnP) to do it quietly. Although, not all firewalls may either support UPnP (most do), or it may be blocked. So, if you didn’t open a port on your firewall, but you see 80 peers that implies that UPnP is working for you. If you see only 8 peers (default outbound), your port is not port-forwarded.

3 Likes

It was never necessary, just advised for those having issues.
But the community took it as standard to open that port.

you’re right, I stand corrected :slight_smile:

1 Like