How to mount more than 26 Drives in Windows 10 Chia Farmer?

How to mount more than 26 Drives in Windwos 10 Chia Farmer ?
Can I use USB Hub for 48pcs of 3TB Hard Drives ?

Is Chia Support UNC ?

From Disk Management, you right click the drive and mount it to a folder. Or you can do it from the command line.

Drives do not need to be attached to letters, they can be mounted in any folder. Quick Google produces

2 Likes

Ok… thanks… very much… do you have tips to connect lots of drives in one PC ?, with cheap way (no JBOD, nor NAS), is USB Hub Method Feasible for at least 100 drives ?

I think USB hub should be feasible for 100 drives, just make sure you are using a quality powered hub.

2 Likes

Do you think I can speed up significantly for plotting in i7 4790 with NVMe Drives ?, with Samsung 860 EVO+ 1TB SATA SSD, I can plot 2 plots in parallel in about 8 hours, I have 5 i7 4790, 5x6 = 30 plots per day, if I use WD Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD, it is possible to make 3 plots parallel in about 6 hours ?

It won’t be dramatically different - you’ll find out north of 30 plots/day on consumer hardware, your issue is actually only solved by building another machine to get plotting and doing another 30.

Folks with the monster Xeon server hardware or the really high end AMD chips are probably doing close to 50/day but still, if you are trying to create 1000s of plots, you need to build more plotters.

Do you also need a powered hub when the externals also have their own power supply? Or is it from X drives better to use powered hubs? Is there a general rule?

From my understanding, you can daisy chain up to 127 drives from a single USB. Why that number? I don’t know

I’m not sure but I’ve seen quite a bit of weirdness around unpowered devices drawing current from even directly connected USB ports to the motherboard! I would only trust powered USB hubs for long term.

The recommended task did not fix the issue for me (as I also got the impression the OP didn’t have that many drives at the time). I can’t get windows 10 disk management to even acknowledge more than 26 physical drives (I have no multi-partition drives). So without that acknowledgement I can’t even assign the folders as is typically suggested.

BTW, in my experience, the “127 drives” for USB is misleading there are a lot of variables that can come into play that can prevent you from reaching 127.

Get your first 26 drives in disk mgr, remove the drive letter assignments , then give them folder assignments (mount points). Add more drives (that will be assigned typical drive letters), rinse, repeat. All drives will be seen by disk mgr with or without drive letters.

1 Like

I did that. Disk Manager still won’t acknowledge additional drives such that I can assign anything to them.

Can you take the other hard disk off your machine so you only have 15, then try and then.

Forgot to say, you have to remove the drive letter from the disks before you can add and mount them in a NTFS folder.

Add 26, minus system drives, follow instructions on link.
Add the rest.

1 Like

That’s incorrect. Try it :slight_smile:

When the drive letter is still assigned to the drive the mount label is grayed out and doesn’t give you an option. When you remove the letter the option is black and selectable.

Not sure what OS you are using (this be Win10 Pro), but here is an example. I’ve been doing this dozens of times, so there is something different with your setup.

2 Likes

Here’s a powershell script that will find all volumes that are named using a certain pattern, create directories for them and then attach those volumes to those directories as mounts. This way you just attach all your disks, name the volumes appropriately, then run this script to mount them all. You can also run this even when you already have disks attached - it will just error out on volumes that are already attached and mount new ones.

The script below assumes you name your volumes like this*:
C01-01-StoragePool
C01-02-StoragePool
…
C02-01-StoragePool
…

And you want those mapped to folders in your C:\Disks\StoragePool\ folder. The end result will be a folder structure that looks like this:

C:\Disks\StoragePool\C01-01
C:\Disks\StoragePool\C01-02
…
C:\Disks\StoragePool\C02-01
…

Get-Volume | Where-Object FileSystemLabel -Match "C\d{2}-\d{2}-StoragePool" | Sort-Object FileSystemLabel | ForEach-Object {$partition = Get-Partition -Volume $_; $volname = $_.FileSystemLabel; $path = "C:\Disks\StoragePool\" + $volname.replace("-StoragePool", ""); New-Item -ItemType Directory -Path $path; Add-PartitionAccessPath -InputObject $partition -AccessPath $path;

* My naming convention means “Case 1, Disk 1” - works great for a rack full of JBODs to easily physically find a disk.

1 Like