How to tell which Chia Pools are faking netspace

I wrote about something fascinating today, that came to me via anonymous tip. If you check Mining Pools Stats this week after the Dust Storm last week you can pretty easily tell which pools are faking netspace and which are reporting some semblance of real data.

How to tell which Chia pools are faking netspace - The Chia Plot

The author says, “and let the graphs speak for themselves.”

I examined the charts as well I could, but apart from some being flat and most following a similar pattern I saw little that showed me anything.

He later says, “The ones who are completely flat are doing something else entirely, and I will let you come to your own conclusion about them.”

What conclusion are you drawing from these charts and the pools with almost flat lines?

That anyone who didn’t have a dip during the storm is not reporting their netspace honestly. Whether for some technical decision or through deception, everyone should have dipped during that storm. Everyone.

Or maybe they have better nodes or some other reason that they have been able to keep their users online and their reporting correct and up to date and have survived the dust storm better.

So they could be the best pools or the worst. Flip a coin.

Their node wouldn’t affect this. That’s the point.

I’m looking at the pools with flat-lines now to see if I can find any correlation pointing either way.

Let me know if you find anything. I can’t think of any way to have kept that line perfectly flat through the storm other than artificial numbers.

All of the flat lines are Chinese pools with Chinese websites.

I don’t know what this means in relation to the flat-lines but it certainly does not make me feel comfortable or safe with the flat-line sites.

I reviewed the author’s (of the link you posted) other posts and he seems impartial and knowledgeable.

I think he gives good advice, but he could be a bit more clear and research at least one level deeper.

I would follow his (almost, lol) advice on avoiding these Chinese flat-line pools.

Good Find.
:+1:

That’s me heh. And thank you for the kind words!

The fact that all pools I know are both trustworthy and competent dipped and only unknown shifty ones didn’t is a data point.

3 Likes

This makes my day lol, and yes so far I found your blog informative, keep up the good work!

1 Like

Yo, that’s great! Now we know what “dust storm” is, could resist this attack and also we are able to see who is lying. I’m really glad I made the right decision joining the pool I joined to, hope you too!

Which one? (if it’s not a secret)

I noticed that flexpool looks pretty correct…
What do you think?

:rofl: :rofl: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

I joined findchia but I recommend you always to decide by yourself! (also sorry for not answering right then - I was busy)