How's the performance of Core Xeon?

So many claims… not sure what is true :wink:

I’d ask to see single plot times first on a typical NVME SSD first. Then we can estimate from there…

I could snag a 24x Bay JBOD ( Supermicro SC848 CSE-848) with the following specs:

• 4x Intel Xeon E5-4650, 8x 2.70GHz, 8 GT/s, 20MB Cache
  • 512GB ECC DDR3 PC12800 (16x 32GB)
  • Motherboard Supermicro X9QR7-TF-JBOD
  • BPN-SAS2-846EL1 Expander Backplane
  • SAS 9271-8i RAID Controller

I actually bought it mainly for the 24x Drive bay. But I also plan to plot on it (64 Threads should do alot of parallel plots is my assumption). First test will be onto HDDs and for reference also to NVMe SSDs. I’ll let you know the plotting times once it arrives.

Wow, how much was that beast?
Keep us informed, please! :slight_smile:

Agree! I sent him a msg on his YT video but no answer! Hummmmm :roll_eyes:

Guys, i also had the idea of a san controller for my server, but it is not nessesary at all.
Keep in mind that you only need fast drives for plotting, 2x 1-4tb nvme ssd is good enough at all.

When you are done plotting you need a slow efficient way to store and farm it, i made the same mistake, you do not want to run a whole server to farm when you could have the final files on low cost low energy usb drives…

But I need more space than I have USB ports on my machine :wink: Thats why I went for a 24-bay. All the other components are nice to haves. But I’m with you in general. People are often too much focussed on plotting speed, rather than an efficient way for farming/storing those.

This is true, if I were to buy the machine I mentioned on this thread and if it is still plotting 40/day, I would run out of disk space very quickly.
Really struggling to find HDD here in Australia at an okay price

Did you buy the T5810? and if you did then how did it turn out?

Thanks for linking to my video – I assure ya’ll its not “fabricated” or made up. I generally only make videos about things I’ve personally done myself. Yes it can do 40 plots per day with enough temp space and I’m running this setup right now in my livingroom.

1 Like

Love your videos @SlothtechTV very clear and to the point!

2 Likes

One of my servers has 2x E5-2699v3’s, though it only has 2.2T of temp space. I’m plotting 12 in parallel and averaging 31 plots per day. If I added temp space, I’d be able to do a lot more on that machine without issue.

2 Likes

Love your content. It’s very easy to follow. IMO the best Chia content on YT.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your support! =] the replies made my day. – you too Fuji :slight_smile:

Those numbers are actually impressive… I am assuming your 2.2T of temp space is 4 physical drives or more?

eight Intel DC 3700 400GB’s in a LVM stripe used off ebay. Three of the drives had 279.5G of usable space vs 372.6G on the others, so I was only able to get 2.2T into the stripe.

This is so cool you’ve really made an efficient system (performance wise). Ty for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

fwiw, the EPYC 7302P with 4x 512G 970 EVOs in an LVM stripe is also getting 30-31 a day running 8 in parallel. I’d argue it’s the more efficient of the two.

1 Like

How much did that 2699v3 build cost vs the epyc build?

Roughly the same. Though to be fair, I had the EPYC server from last year and just starting using it to plot.

I actually don’t see a reason to run dual 2699v3’s without the extra plotting space, but it was a matter of what MB’s were available vs cost. It was weirdly cheaper a couple of weeks ago to get a 2 CPU board and 2 used CPUs than a 1 CPU board, based on what was available in the US at the time anyway. I think that was a timing/scarecity anomaly.

The EPYC 7302P came in an embedded Supermicro package. I think I paid around $1k for it a year ago meant to be a do-it-all brain for my homelab. Assuming no scarecity issues and no sketchy ebay issues, you should normally be able to build a single 2699v3 for cheaper. However, my experience shows the EPYC is completing parallel plots in 23k seconds vs 27.6K for the 2699.

that epyc system is a crazy value!!! color me impressed :slight_smile: now im looking at them… ty for the meaningful response.