I dont know what to do anymore

He was advised to reach out to someone on the Chia Discord, who could perhaps trace some of the coins and see where they have ended up.

2 Likes

That’s what I do too, the cold wallet has never even been connected to a network since the day it was first set up and never to the network I farm on, which itself is a closed hardwired network with nothing else on it. I would not personally even allow a WiFi card to be installed on the farming network.

2 Likes

Then he needs to click here!!

.Also joinn madMAx

1 Like

I did, they gave me few security tips but nothing more.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I just wanted to add my experience about an issue I had a few months ago. I was trying to transfer Eth to someone else on my PC when I noticed that the address I was pasting was not the same that I was copying. I was dumbfounded as to what was going on. After a bit of googling I found out that my windows PC was infected with a clip board virus of some kind. The regular windows scan did not pick it up. I found a few guides on Google on how to remove this program. After downloading a few antivirus and malware detection programs I was able to remove the offending program. These days you have to be really really careful about what you download on to your computer.

1 Like

I’m really sorry you’re experiencing this.
I think the main reason why you are experiencing this is because you shared 24 words with your friend and chia developers did not develop a ledger support (they promised to do this about 1 year ago).
Many people have mentioned cold wallets but when you lose 24 words it is very easy for someone to sync a wallet and steal your money. In other words, the cold wallet mentioned above is not as secure as Ledger.

To answer your other question, I would definitely not spend USD for chia again.

1 Like

Cash it out at least monthly will limit the loss that is POTENTIAL to a theft.

that’s insane, Thanks for sharing and letting us know of such malware existing, I really had no idea.

well… when I look at the transactions like that:
1: Outflowed weeks ago (but good. I don’t check that often)
2: BUT: Outflow took place over several days.

those who have reported a loss here so far usually have an outflow of 1 mojo or so and then all in one transaction or in several transactions within one day.
That is suspicious. But: I don’t care.

So: You asked for opinions and advice.
You should get both.

But first of all: I am always very direct and suspicious:
1: Your buddy was SURE it wasn’t? Because he doesn’t need money. Ah yes. Even a millonaire would see it differently. And since the loss is now after the Halving where everything is going through the roof… also suspicious. But well. 25.000€ = I can’t do anything with that either.
2: Why can you be sooooo stupid (sorry) and give others the “PIN of your bank account”?
3: You think/you’re really clever. Officially report a theft so you don’t have to pay taxes. THIS suspicion would apply in Germany. I don’t know the laws in the USA. Mining is subject to a 45% tax here, unless it was stolen. Then you have to keep a record. Forum entries are a start.
= My sympathy is limited.

So… and now the advice. If you’ve read this far, you’re probably already on 180.
1: Take a laptop or a free PC. Boot with a live CD and install CHIA. Create a new wallet and enter it into your productive CHIA-Farmer. This way you don’t need to plot again. There is currently talk that the plots may all have to be regenerated. Let’s see what happens in the next few weeks.

2: Don’t be so stupid again and give out the keys. If you create a new wallet, don’t create it automatically. You click on the 24 words yourself.
In fact:
You create 12 words on the left-hand side WITHOUT your buddy seeing them.
In other words: Word: 1+2+3 // 7+8+9 etc. Your buddy is standing BEHIND the TFT.

Then the LEFT screen is masked. Of course, you take notes on your words.

Then change places. You go behind the TFT and your buddy sits down and generates the RIGHT area. You just make sure that he doesn’t remove the taped area and takes a picture if necessary.

You write down the wallet address together, of course. <= the whole thing with the LIVE CD, of course.

CHIA-FULL-NODE (i.e. your harvester) still has the old (hacked) wallet. But no more XCH is deposited there. If your buddy secretly reads out the 24 words, he won’t get anything out of it. He already knows them.

Advantage: No one has 100% access to the wallet at any time. If you want to pay out something = Live CD => You enter your 12 words links + tape off + your buddy the other 12 words. 100% protection between each other.

5 investors?
Stupid constellation. 4 or 6 would be better :wink:
But with a bit of creativity you can manage that too.

BUT: If one of them dies or loses his words, you’re screwed.
Accordingly, you have to find a solution. In other words: deposit it in a safe deposit box or (here in Germany) deposit it with a notary.

Option 2: I don’t have 500XCH but much, much less.
I created 20 wallet addresses back then.
When 10XCH are full, I send them to a new wallet.
Probably 100XCH for you. Or now after the halving = 50 XCH.

And then you should download the “CHIEW” app or similar apps.
This will show you the “account balance” of all wallets.

In that sense… Cheer up and don’t take my “free thought processes” too personally.

1 Like

Don’t remove it after infection! Make a recovery point of your machine after a fresh install and then roll it back!

Probably a more sensible option would be each person creates their own cold wallet, then the earnings are split and sent to the individual cold wallets.

I currently have all my XCH in one cold wallet, but I’m really starting to think I should spilt it up.

1 Like

Blockquote
2: Don’t be so stupid again and give out the keys. If you create a new wallet, don’t create it automatically. You click on the 24 words yourself.
In fact:
You create 12 words on the left-hand side WITHOUT your buddy seeing them.
In other words: Word: 1+2+3 // 7+8+9 etc. Your buddy is standing BEHIND the TFT.

Danke fßr die gute Erklärung, die ich auch gut gebrauchen kann.

Ach… schau an. Es gibt doch noch Deutsche in diesem Forum :wink:

1 Like

Leute die Deutsch sprechen ja die gibt es!

1 Like

not at all, no offense taken what so ever :slight_smile: I know I did stupid mistakes and I acknowledge them and here to take advice to not repeat them ! It was interesting reading your comment, Since the hardware is physically at one of my locations I told the investors that the next run no one will have the keys except me. Thats the way to go … and in 10 years if someone want their XCH ill just ask them to make a wallet and ill send it to them, easy peasy.

and regarding tax and stolen crypto… none of that where I live , I am from Saudi Arabia.

1 Like

If you re-accumulate you may want to send your XCH to a Tangem wallet without any seed exposed. Then it will require physical custody of the Tangem card to make a spend. Sorry for your loss of 500 XCH.

1 Like

Don’t take this personal but as an investor I wouldn’t trust you either. But in the financial world I would not trust anybody! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I have a technical question.

If I have a full node running, there can not be another full node running on the internet with the same key. Correct?

If so, keeping a full node running can prevent a clone node to transfer out your XCH. Yes?

You can have as many nodes as you want running with the same keys.

1 Like