I need Usb hub advice, please

Hi, I want to know your opinions on this hub.

And [this one](Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Individual LED lit Power Switches (HB-UMLS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWF5U0M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1803DFWXQGYYBA22E9RP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1).

I’m planning to use it in a mini PC box to attach external drives.
Thanks in advance!

The general consensus is that USB 2.0 is acceptable for farming but 2.0 response times are low, moving plots takes a long time, and you will miss some challenges while writing plots. USB 2.0 is .5GB/s.

At 1GB/s USB 3.0 that is available on most modern PCs is twice as fast as USB 2.0. Most PCs also have (usually) two ports (usually) marked SS.

USB 3.0 SS is 5GB/s. five times as fast as basic USB 3.0 and ten times as fast as USB 2.0.

Whatever standard you decide on make sure that every component is at least that good. Using USB 3.0 SS 5GB/s arrays and a USB 3.0 SS 5GB/s port, you lose all advantage if you stick a USB 2.0 hub in between them.

I use nothing but USB 3.0 SS 5GB/s throughout. My average response time is around .12 seconds and my longest response times are under two seconds. If I am writing plots to drives then I do see my response times suffer, but still no missed challenges with avg response time under .2 seconds and longest response under 5 seconds.

I recommend USB 3.0 SS 5GB/s throughout, or at least basic USB 3.0. IMOP USB 2.0 is only good for farming and even if just farming, I prefer the better response times of 3.0 or 3.0 SS.

If you do stay with USB 2.0 make sure that your hub is powered. Both Sabrent hubs that you asked about are powered. I like the concept of 13 or 14 ports but this may cause issues in Chia world. Out of the two you asked about I would go with the 4 port version.

Be well! :sunglasses:

1 Like

For USB 2.0 HUBs I never went so cheap

The 2.0 HUBs I have are Logilinks and call me weird but I prefer metal casings … They also have ofcourse 3.x ones but price increase is like 60% more…

I don’t have any external USB 3.x HUBs but do use 3.x PCI cards and they are aprox same price as those logilink hubs

The ones I use are Inateck Highspeed 7 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card - 5X USB 3.0 ports outside and 2X internal, PCI Express Card with 15-pin SATA connector, incl. 2 power cables - KT5002

Difference in price between the 5 and 7 ports of this card is only 1 euro …

Funny thing, their adverts propose it for bitcoin mining … still trying to figure that one out :wink:

1 Like

Thanks! You are right, I didn’t notice these are 2.0
So this one or this one should be a good option

Am I right?

Thanks, but I’ll go with a 3.0 version.
That PCI looks good, but my PC box is something like a cheap Mac mini and it doesn’t have any expansion options.
Maybe I will use it with another spare pc in the future. Maybe for trading XCH for BTC :grin:

Both should be good as they both are powered and both show as supporting 5GB/s. I would go with the Sabrent as it looks more solid and I recognize them as a good consumer quality brand.

1 Like

I am using this one without connecting to the power supply.

My farm has been operated for more than a month now without any reboot. None of my external drives were disconnected or anything of the sort. I am no longer updating the OS (Ubuntu 21.04) and Chia (1.2.3). Basically, my farm is very stable:

Save your money. You don’t need the ultimate hub and machine (I am farming on 2 x Raspberry Pi4, a plotter running Monero miner, and a working laptop) to farm Chia :+1:

Just mentioning.
It was strongly advised to update chia version if not on at least 1.2.6 due to the new implementations.

1 Like

Thanks. I will update it when I update to Ubuntu 21.10. I just don’t see any reason for it right now since I will have to restart Chia and losing some time and profits in the process :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Completely understand, and if it’s not broke, why mess with it.

1 Like