I think someone stole my Chia

What is it you’re trying to imply here by singling me out, there are ways to secure coins with a cold wallet, there are other methods as well, so what is it you REALLY want to say, stop pussyfooting around and don’t play this coy suggestive bullshit as if I would ever be happy about someone losing coins.

If you want to rehash a Ledger discussion then do so, you can track the progress and where it stands just as easily as I can, it seems there is some wait with Ledger after the previous hurdles have been stepped over, but don’t start trying to throw instances in my face as if I am some anti-supporter.

I am not a Chia employee, I am not a Ledger employee, but I am a community member who can link you to how to use a cold wallet if thats what someone wants or needs, aside from that I’m not going to have you wagging fingers at me as if I had anything to do with the situation or would ever condone it.

Stop trying to capitalize on someones loss just to be a jackass towards me, reflect on what you just did there.

P.S. Just because you’re bitter about being timed out for a day on the Chia discord and threw a hissyfit here trying to seek sympathy from others while leaving out the REAL reason you were timed out (for derogatory ethnic remarks) is no reason to try and use someones bad situation to take a shot at me, act like a grown up, not a child.

2 Likes

I get you’re upset I timed you out for a day on the Chia discord, as a volunteer moderator there I follow a certain set of guidelines for the actions I take, one of those is to have a good reason for taking the actions, and I think everyone can agree that timing someone out for 24 hours after they use derogatory ethnic insults is a good reason

heck, most would probably say that type of behavior deserves a ban, but all you had to do was spend 24 hours to calm down and gather your thoughts, instead you took that time to cry to others and convince them you were banned for your other things, you are the epitome of a child crying for a piece of candy then screaming and stomping his feet when told no.

your go-to attempts to insult definitely paint a picture about you and remind me of Godwin’s Law because when someone attempts these insults I’ve already won the discussion and they’ve got nothing sensible and articulate to say, so they resort to the only thing thats been present in their life, insults.

1 Like

I’m sorry what happened eoun. Could you please answer these questions to try to identify how it happened?

• Was the PC where chia was installed used for other purposes?
  • Have you installed any extension in your web browser related to crypto?
  • Have you imported your secret words somewhere?
  • Have you downloaded any program to speed up the download of the chia database?
  • What version of Chia software are you on at the time of the loss?
  • Were the secret words written down in a text file or in a photograph on the phone or a machine with Internet access?
  • Were your secret phrases generated by the official chia software at the time?

nn
These are not my words. I’m not the only one who thinks you’re a Nazi soldier.

THIS VICTIM JUST LOST MONEY, EFFORT AND TIME BECAUSE THE CHIA TEAM COULD NOT DEVELOP THE LEDGER WALLET ON TIME. AND HE’S NOT ALONE.

The chia team that cannot accept responsibility for this will never mean anything to me.

this chat is over. are we clear?

You wrote it. Ergo, they are your words.

Watch Schindler’s List, or The Diary of Anne Frank (1959), to get an inkling of the inhumanity of NAZIs.

When you casually toss around labeling people as NAZIs, you diminish the atrocities undertaken by actual NAZIs.

Not good.

I do hope that this is over, as this change of topic should never have been raised in this forum.

2 Likes

You’re making a lot of assumptions here for your story to work, one of them is that the user would have purchased a Ledger, or that Ledger was not part of the cause for delay (which we know they were as they modified software to allow development for it), so your attempt to blame Chia and suggest Ledger was the only solution is you trying to create a singular scenario despite several choices that exist.

Someone engaging in the same behavior of you does not indicate merit in the behavior, it simply demonstrates another person with the same flaws and mentality, asking people to follow guidelines put in place to keep discord cordial is not the elimination of a race of people, its merely how civilized society works today, with respect and courtesy towards other so an exchange of ideas can take place.

it was over before it started, you just didn’t realize that. (when you made derogatory ethnic insults then switched to WWII insults because I chose to moderate that behavior, with a mere 24 hour timeout)

2 Likes

just saying, do you realize that you are a very entitled twat

2 Likes

Yes these are the correct questions. Very important to know for @eoun otherwise they might fall victim again.

@eoun Like someone else said, it is possible to farm with the existing plot and send the reward to a cold wallet. However I do not believe this is without any risk and personally I would not do it that way.

I think best is to delete/format everything and use a fresh set of keys with new plots. And as mentioned above. important to try and find out how you were compromised in the first place. For expample, if there is still some malicious software running somewhere and it is not deleted, then it can happen again with the new wallet.

you love to format everything, dont you :wink:

@eoun also dont forget to consider if a real person got access to your system, sometimes its not software but an evil bitch.

it is classical not-my-fault-syndrome despite 99.9% of issues are between chair/keyboard. And whatever you do, it is always your fault.

if you fuck up big time, and you lose something by own stupidity…well, find someone to blame ROFL

It reminds me of daily life, every company I ever worked ROFL Highest level of poverty is if a guy suffering from EHS was caught in action, everybody saw that…yet sHe claims it wasn’t me ROFL

Erase is the simplest, and cheapest way ROFL

Can you repair it? No, it’s fucked :smiley:

• Was the PC where chia was installed used for other purposes?: NO
• Have you installed any extension in your web browser related to crypto?: NO
• Have you imported your secret words somewhere?: I have written it down on my Phone (google noteapp, google has 2FA and notifications so it is very unlikely that someone has access) as well as on my personal documents
• Have you downloaded any program to speed up the download of the chia database?: NO
• What version of Chia software are you on at the time of the loss?: Sadly I don’t know exactly.
• Were the secret words written down in a text file or in a photograph on the phone or a machine with Internet access?: Yes, see answer above
• Were your secret phrases generated by the official chia software at the time?: Yes

I am the only one with access to the computer, however I access it via Anydesk.

I see that I simply had bad luck, I will just start over. I am smart enough the invest only money that I don’t need, therefore the lost is not fun, but don’t ruin me.

1 Like

cracked one or you have license?

We should never host our seed phrase in any third party’s cloud. This can have two-step authentication but imagine that some angry administrator has been fired and he decides to go after the user’s data… I would only do this if I encrypt the file symmetrically and even then I wouldn’t be calm because It could be decrypted by brute force if the encryption password is not strong.

I would not install AnyDesk to do remote desktop either, I know that for private use it is free but it is not opensource and cannot be audited.

Even commenting on these 2 bad practices, I find it unlikely that they are the attack vector of the theft.

1 Like

@ivan_dulin AnyDesk is free, I don’t need a licence (it is not a crack)

I agree that from a security standpoint these points are not optimal, but there should be secure enough. I doubt that someone cracks into anydesk or google only to find some random words and then knows what to do with them and don’t do anything other. I would rather guess that they simply tried different word combinations and by just look got some working (just brute force).

It does make you wonder what are the chances of someone, or rather a computer program hitting on the word’s randomly. Is there anything in place to guard against this?

The chance is beyond astronomical.

BIP39 24-word = 2048^24 combinations. It’s like finding a single grain of sand somewhere on earth that happens to be the exact one and only one that you need.

Actually I think 2048^24 is more that the total there are grains of sand. More like total number of atoms in the universe.

1 Like

I believe that the odds of brute forcing the 24 words is exponentially more difficult, because there are probably more than 24 words.

Although Chia gives you 24 words, it probably chooses 24 words from a far longer list of words.

I doubt that the developers would give a clue to attackers as to the list of words, by having only 24.

Anyone have more than one wallet that has compared the 24 words between them to see if they are the same 24 words in a different order, or if there are some words unique to each wallet?

BIP39 has 2048 words: BIP 39 Wordlist – Blockplate

With a seed phrase consisting of 24 words, that give you 2048^24 combinations.

29.642.774.844.752.900.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000

But how many wallets are there?

There are 83,000 active wallets, and 61 million unique addresses.

What’s the chance someone guesses the correct combination for anyone’s wallet, not a specific wallet.

I suppose it would be (2048^24)/61,000,000 which is still an extremely slim chance.