If i restart my computer, will i lose my sync on restart?

Hey all!

I am currently running plots 24/7 and I got a new SSD this morning that I want to plug in. I need to shut down the computer and install the new SSD and so on and so forth.

So my question is - If I shut down my computer, what happens to the all the plots that are already farming? Will they restart farming as soon as I restart my computer and start the Chia Client?

My apologies if this is a dumb question. I just want to be absolutely sure before I shut down the computer.

1 Like

you had to wait until your current plots (the one you are plotting) are done. The one that you farm are OK.

2 Likes

Any plot that is still plotting will be lost. I would either wait for them to finish or stop them and clean out the temp folder. Any plot that is complete and is in the farming state will start farming again once the Chia software is back up and running. As for the sync, you will not lose the progress you already made. The sync will have to catch up for the time the system was down, but won’t take long.

2 Likes

thank you so much for confirming, appreciate your time :slight_smile:

thank you so much for your help :slight_smile:

I recently added a bunch of hardware and had to do this. Just like others mentioned, it will sync and start farming again no problem. I can also confirm that plots in progress will not resume. I use plotman and suspended a bunch one time to restart, it doesn’t resume and they are all lost :sob:

Installing your new hardware also gives you the opportunity to rearrange everything. I would recommend one of the icy dock ssd hot swap bays as well. I got one just so I don’t need to shut down to replace or add ssds.

1 Like

I had to restart today, and I was synced up again in less then 5 minutes (starting from an empty peer pool).

You could try hibernating (assuming you are on windows) instead of a shutdown. We already know plotting survives sleep, but I have not seen a definite answer on hibernate yet.

1 Like

Assuming they are adding or changing internal drives I would disconnect power before I start monkeying around in there.

Good question, I don’t have windows or I would test and see.

1 Like

Hibernate is persistent, it shuts down all power.

1 Like

thanks for sharing your experience :slight_smile:

For SATA drives you can enable SATA hotplug in the BIOS so you won’t require a reboot for those types of drives.

1 Like