Intermit.tech - Overview of my current Home Chia farm!

I like to my videos about subjects that interest me and Chia has become one of them, having a storage background and an itch for optimizing computer stuff, Chia is an awesome project to dive into!

I made a first video about my Chia farm, showing you my setup using NFS connected nodes to a dedicated farmer box and USB3 storage including some of it’s caveats to look out for!

These videos are also linked to an info article here: Chia farming info post - Intermittent Technology

Discussions and/or questions about the video and it’s content are very welcome here! Let me know what you think!

7 Likes

Awesome video!

I noticed you’re using powered USB hubs even though the drives have external power, does that have to do with the chipset you mentioned?

I can’t get the Orico one where I live, and the chipset isn’t listed in the specs for most of the ones I could get. What do you think of this one from i-tec?

I’m also not sure what capacity to get, how can I find out how many devices my root hubs support? This is the verbose output from lsusb for one of my USB3 hubs. Don’t know how to interpret this for device capacity though, no information on these attributes in the man page.

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               3.10
  bDeviceClass            9 Hub
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         3
  bMaxPacketSize0         9
  idVendor           0x1d6b Linux Foundation
  idProduct          0x0003 3.0 root hub
  bcdDevice            5.12
  iManufacturer           3 Linux 5.12.1-arch1-1 xhci-hcd
  iProduct                2 xHCI Host Controller
  iSerial                 1 0000:01:00.0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength       0x001f
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xe0
      Self Powered
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower                0mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         9 Hub
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 Full speed (or root) hub
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
        bInterval              12
        bMaxBurst               0
1 Like

Yeah I guess officially they wouldn’t need to have external power, I’ve just not had good luck with unpowered hubs in the past. Same with going with the VIA chipset hubs from Orico, I’ve had plenty of USB issues in the past but using a good chipset hub made that basically non-existent for me.

But that said, the Sabrent HUB I showed in the video uses a Realtek chipset and so far it’s been ok. Still it’s a decently and powered USB hub, I just don’t want to troubleshoot for hours because I threw a 5$ overheating china special hub in there. :wink:

That i-Tec hub will thus do fine I think, it has the realtek chipset I suspect but it is of decent quality.

About your Root HUB, I believe all XHCI will be limited to 32 devices max, but for me that’s mostly only an issue because my drives take up 4 devices each.

3 Likes

BROOO love the labels and the organization in general. :laughing: Thanks for making this, really enjoying it!

2 Likes

Seconding all of this. Powered all the way, and chipset does matter for USB throughput, however you just ain’t gonna get much throughput from spinny rust no matter what you do (well, unless you raid 0 a bunch of stuff, which is useless for chia) so it’s far more of an issue on the NVME → USB side.

2 Likes