Ironwolf and Exos Hard Drive failures - Action Group

Which ambulance do you chase? Every big one?

There is no data you have provided just FUDs.

1 Like

All in May 2021 via amazon from the Seagate Store. All 16TB drives. I have a couple exos 18TB drives too. No issues. I do remember having a couple DOA. But was able to return and get replacements. No issues since with the replacements.

Thanks for the info. The vast majority of failures we have found to be with Ironwolf 14tbs.

Just saying! I appreciate the info.

You are not asking them for a favor, if their warranty includes free data recovery.
They are obligated to recover your data.

How busy they are is you guessing.
How busy they are is of no concern to customers.

They must hire people, run double shifts, or ask Barbara Eden to blink your plots onto replacement drives.
That is on them. It is their warranty.

1 Like

I just looked at my records. It was an IronWolf 16TB that arrived damaged in shipping. Returned it and received another but the replacement was DOA. Returned it and got a good one. That one and all the rest have been good.

Maybe an isolated issue with that line.

I agree, but their recovery agreement is that they will recover the data “if they can”.

Granted I am purely speculating on protocol, but when a load of full 14tb HDDs land on their desk and they know it’s chia, it would be very easy to say thuck phat, or whatever they say in their labs, and just send out the blank replacement. After all, it’s going to cost them the replacement anyway and how’s a customer to know if the data could or could not be recovered?

If the info we have been getting back continues along those lines (ie 14tb issues) then perhaps we’ll aim to get 12s or 16s as replacements.

As long as they get the data back on them of course.

Seems like your sad and disgruntled alot lol.

Im happy alot, no need for concern :grinning::smiley::slightly_smiling_face:

I feel sure thats what all the others who killed their drives thought as well.

1 Like

Anything is possible. But unless I see evidence of that, or have had such an experience, or know people that have had that experience, then I will not assume that they would be deceptive.

No matter what the drive failure was, they can almost certainly recover the data.
They have the expertise, and the professional tools to do so.

If a board got fried, they have the boards.
If an actuator arm dies, they have actuator arms.
If a head crashed, it would not kill the entire platter, and all of the platters.

The personnel that do the data recovery are on the clock. If they are not recovering your data, then they are recovering someone else’s data. So why would they decide to not recover your data?

When I contacted them for my drive failure, they were polite, and I was polite. We kept our conversation professional. I would not want to piss off the people that have the power to recover or not recover my data.

I went down that road with you, because I find it bizarre that you would suggest that Seagate would say screw it and not recover your files. What experience did you or someone you know have that prompted you to write that?

I got 100% of my plots back (although a few of them were corrupt). But Seagate did everything right (except for an honest shipping label error that consumed my time, but got straightened out). And they kept on top of the shipping problem. They seemed to want to do the right thing.

Western Digital is a warranty nightmare (I experienced it, first hand). But not Seagate.

If you want the HDD to work stably for a long time, you must meet these three basic requirements: vibration, temperature, and power supply. This is the reason why the HDD is easily damaged, and it has nothing to do with chia. Because you can’t go to their actual production environment for forensics, so you only hear one-sided information from them.

6 Likes

If Seagate is actually saying this, you want to get this to @storage_jm (maybe on keybase) so he can go kick their butts about it. (the actual email would be required though, not just a quote).
Saying Chia farming is bad for hdd’s is like saying “driving with a red shirt on is bad for your car”
Most likely just a misguided service desk employee though.

If you’re having problems with a specific model and you bought a lot than it could just be a bad batch or something. Ironwolf are NAS drives, they should be well suited to the job of farming Chia

3 Likes

To me, 3% failure rate is uncomfortable. It is easy to replot, but a hassle associated with RMA is what hits the bottom line: you waste time/money to ship the defective unit, wait for RMA to come back…

On the other hand, their street price is a lot less than WD.

Out of the 3 drives that failed, one had the “click of death” problem, and two others had file system crumbled and riddled with i/o errors.

On the side note, it would be nice to fast forward some 10 years into the future to see if flash technology evolves to a price point that beats spinners.

My experience:
2 failed HDDs. Both went through the recovery process.

I received 2x replacements, blank, no recovered drives.

On the basis that I agree with what you say about what they are capable of, perhaps youll see where i am coming from.

And you want to waste thousands taking them to court.

Joker.

The department that sends the replacement drives is in Cerritos, CA.
The department that sends the drives with the recovered plots is in Oklahoma City, OK.

If you mail your drive to Cerritos, CA, then you will get only a warranty replacement.
If you mail your drive to Oklahoma City, OK, then you will get drives with recovered data + replacement drives.

If you live outside of the USA, then I have no idea which locations do what.

When you set up your warranty return, you have to request data recovery (and verify that it is free).

In my case, I did my warranty claim over the phone, and the support person asked me if I wanted data recovery. I asked the cost, and she told me it was free (part of the warranty).

If I had done the warranty on-line, I have no idea if the data recovery option would have been presented.

Thanks Voodoo. I am literally quoting, and I have the email in full so no issues there. Who is the guy you mention? Thanks

ps if hes misguided, then it’s worrying that he is in the role he is in “…In regards, of further escalation, I want to point out that you have reached the highest management level handling escalations, so there is no option for further escalations”

No issues over how to do warranty and recovery, ive done it twice. Cheers

dont jump the gun kidda.

The wet paper gun your taking to court?
Oh, but its so fun.

1 Like

Perhaps you need to increase the value you have on your own time.

Jonmichael Hands, VP of Storage Business Development at Chia.

He’s working with Seagate in the Circular drive initiative, so he knows them pretty well