Is Filling hard drive to maximum 99.9% is a terrible idea

I just got a call from your uncle Louie, he wanted me to tell you time to come home and clean your room!!!

How was Linux supposed to convince me?
By talking about a subject that has zero to do with storing plots, that is supposed to convince me?

All my life I have been filling my car’s tank to the max.
Now I know why my last 4 cars all had to have their gas tanks replaced, three times, each.

I have also been filling my printer with ink and paper. Now I know to first spill out some of the ink.

I recently stayed at a hotel, and they filled their vending machine to the max.
The next time I go there, I will teach them what you taught me; that it is a bad idea to fully stock their vending machine.

Nonsense. No computer has ever had data loss – ever – except when they filled their drives with plots.

The Quora link has nothing, whatsoever, to do with storing plots.

The Linux video, on optimizing your hard drive for speed, has nothing, has nothing to do with the requirements of Chia (passing the filter and offering proofs on time).

If you have a car that can go 200 MPH, that does not mean that your Toyota Corolla is not up to the job of getting you to your destination.

Plots, on any part of the drive, will be read in time to respond to any Chia challenges.
I had explained that to you, in a previous comment.

You are either incapable of understanding that concept, or you are intentionally ignoring the obvious.

You posted several videos that have zero to do with storing plots, as it relates to working properly with Chia.

I will not be checking any more of your videos, or your links, etc, as you have run out of credit.
You are zero for 4 (or zero for 5?).

No matter how many times you insist that you are right, does not make you right (especially when you keep posting links that have nothing to do with the task at hand).

Sometimes you need to stop digging. A bigger hole will not make you right. It just puts you in a bigger hole.

Or tell us again about the importance of file-system journaling for plots.

You’re welcome.

1 Like

Let him keep digging the hole less work for Toni in the long run when we get tired of this craziness…

I’v shown a few examples of this.

Real articles about this.

What do I have to gain by keeepint u 1 plot short on a maxed out drive.

All acting like I said sacrifice ur first born for better preformance

Nothing?? So I have a solution to this controversy. Here goes > Why don’t you keep all your drives one plot short of full, saving them from … something (?)… and everyone else can fill (or has already filled) their drives to the brim or not, leaving one plot space… and both camps will suffer the consequences (?), if any, of their actions?

Problem solved and done with, and hopefully so is this thread.

1 Like

What does “keeepint” mean?

The plots that experience the worst performance are well within Chia specifications for passing the filter and providing proofs.

The plots that are on the slowest part of a hard drive cause zero performance differences for any other plots on the drive.

You keep harping on maximizing performance, where that performance gives you nothing, whatsoever, for responding to Chia challenges in the allotted time.

How about telling everyone to never open notepad.exe on your full node. Doing so will use CPU cycles and memory, and will take away from allowing Chia to perform at its maximum?

99.71% of my plot check times are under 1 second, with drives pretty much rammed full :smile:

The remaining 0.29% are less than 2 seconds.

This thread is all about someone misunderstanding the use case of the hardware involved.

2 Likes

They build everything involving hard drives in larger than spec.
And only allow you to use a certain portion of it.
Especially with enterprise drives. It’s not physically made in 512 byte sectors in real world it’s like 520.

But every disk is different without u even knowing

When u buy a 4 tb hdd how much space does it say you have available!??? Not 4tb usually 3.7.

Well that’s funny

Because

All Software will do this as-well because it’s that serious.

Go Read a book

Exception being Linux. A newb can accidentally format over the lines. Or not partition at all.

Can you do somthing other than tear apart my grammar. Ur like a bully making fun of somone who can’t read.

It’s extremely low and slim ish to act that way

No one liked that kid in school

Especially when I only seek to help a flock of miss guided sheep.

When really I only go on chia forum on my iPhone.

And the sight of all you sick little puppy’s gets me just fired up.

If u can’t make out what I’m saying and understand some meaning your just proving what a fool you are.

How can u pretend to know everything. Leaving no open mind to learn Somthing.

Foolish.

You either know I’m right and u just enjoy scamming people.

Or.

Ur just a blind fool.

Just look it up.

Done waisting time on this thread.

Believe what u like.

Only benefits me in the end I gues that your all retarded

But this actually hurts chia as a hole and it hurts my heart.
Cause I really need chia to be a huge success

And people like you spreading miss information is ruining it.

Because popular opinion on chia forum does not equal facts.

I never wrote that. You just lied.

You made that up, too.

There we agree that you are foolish.

Another tidbit of information that has no bearing on storing plots.

Your file-system presents you with its available space. Since you dispute that the available space is not available, then hunt down the folks that created our various file-systems and let them know that their file-systems, that are used on over a billion computers, are reporting available space that is not available.

I read John Steinbeck’s Of Mice And Men.
What have you read?

I have done something “other”. It seems you read, make excuses for getting caught spewing nonsense, and then claim that the above never happened – as if everything has been about your grammar, when nearly nothing has been about your grammer.

If you take issue with being asked why you type a lingering “g”, or what “keeepint” means, then don’t type gibberish, and you will not be asked what the meaning is of your gibberish.

You typed “keeepint”. I do not know what “keeepint” means.
You typed “keeepint” for a reason. What is the point of typing “keeepint” if your intention is to keep its meaning a secret?

Rather than complaining about being asked what “keeepint” means, you should enthusiastically explain what “keeepint” means.

You complain that others do not want to learn from you. Then, when you are asked what “keeepint” means, you refuse to answer, in favor of complaining. This was a perfect opportunity to help others learn what “keeepint” means, and you cop an attitude.

You should not complain that we do not want to learn, and then refuse to answer a question to help us learn.

How can we learn from you, if you use words that we do not understand, and also refuse to tell us what those words mean?

I know that kid, and I like him.

What color is your cape?

And you are letting the forum know about you using your phone because…?

I looked it up. You are correct. It took your words of persuasion to show me the light; that I am a blind fool.

There are lots of threads waiting for you to waste more time.

Wow!

Yes, your BS hurts Chia.

You can list endless facts, all of which are true.
However, if none of them pertain to storing plots on mechanical hard drives, that meet the requirements for passing Chia’s filter and providing proofs, then all of your facts and all of your truths serve no purpose.

A large quantity of pointless facts is not helpful.
A minuscule fact that is on point is exponentially more helpful.

Reminder:
Tell us more about why journaling matters for storing plots.

1 Like

This is because manufacturers sell disks in decimal 4000000000000bytes where computers show the binary version
In linux you can use “df -h” to see versus “df -H”

2 Likes

The stick in the spokes, potentially, is the fact that some old timers (regulars) around here on the forums are finding their drives dying. Crammed full of plots you say? Tisk, tisk.

1 Like

There are no “decimal” or “binary” bytes. Bytes are currently (machine dependent in old days) considered to be 8 bits. The difference comes from how 1k is interpreted. For most of us, 1k means 1,000; however, in computer lingo that things are often described as 2^x, thus 1,024 (2^10).

1 Like

Yet more confused gibberish and lack of understanding.

I suggest you go and read and understand the following, you are clearly confusing multiple different things, these are just some of them. Best advice I can give you, is that you clearly don’t remotely understand the subject, and therefore giving bad and incorrect advice, and therefore you should stop posting that I’ll informed advice.

Yes it would be very bad to fill your OS drive to 100%, or any where data is being constantly written to. But Chia plot drives are written once, then read, never needing to be written to again.

Why Does My SSD Show Up As Smaller Than Advertised? | Crucial UK.

1 Like

TLDR get a life.

Seriously read a book

All I know is when I max out a drive. It breaks. consistently.

I must be formatting wrong.

I think I’m just poorly explaining. There validity in what I’m saying.

So ur saying. If u could fill a drive to 99.9 u would seriously just do it?

Is your first name Alex? Just asking because he said (to the judge), “It’s true because I believe it’s true.” Just like you. Still doesn’t make it true.