Is Linux really 10% faster at plotting than Windows?

Parallel plots with equivalent stagger too, or you miss scheduling differences.

1 Like

I can certainly give it a try once the feature’s added to the mainline Windows release, I’m not sure if that will be this month or the next semi-annual release though (usually in Fall I believe). It’s available via the Windows Insider program but I don’t have the time to mess around with that right now I’m afraid.

Sure, but I think if a single solo plot on the same machine shows almost no difference (or a big difference) we can stop there and say, yep, it’s true, it is x percent slower.

I had a comparison of windows vs Linux vs WSL if I can find it…windows was 11% slower and WSL was the slowest

1 Like

I hope this helps: I tested plot times over the last couple of days and I can confirm that the Linux chia version plots about 11% faster. In my opinion it was worth switching to Linux for plotting.

My test data:
HP Laptop, i5-1035G1 4 cores, 8 threads, 8 GB ram, 2 TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro
I’m running 2 plots in parallel with 30 min stagger with 2 threads and 3389 MiB memory per process.
NTFS on Windows, XFS on Linux

this data is the average of 2 plot logs each

p1 4.05h, p2 1.29h, p3 2.56h, p4 0.22, total 8.17h (Windows)
p1 3.40h, p2 1.18h, p3 2.42h, p4 0.19, total 7.25h (Linux)
5 Likes

Well, sounds like that does confirm it – looks 10% faster if it’s on the same machine!

Yes, it is the same Laptop. Everything is the same, except that I tested with Windows 10 first and then installed Ubuntu and tested with Ubuntu.

Now is the best time to optimize and test as I believe most people are waiting for the pool update and will then re-plot everything.

1 Like

If you’re at this stage then you might want to try disabling the Spectre/Meltdown mitigations with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="mitigations=off" in grub.

More info:

3 Likes

Good tip! I will try that.

1 Like

@Rob was your windows test done with compression enabled on the drives? I’ve read this improve windows performance.

Compression enabled won’t improve performance, especially not on Chia files which are highly incompressible (filled with random data).

Compression and indexing were disabled on the temp drive on Windows.

Good morning, I’m a beginner… Build PC.

Asus X570 TUF Gaming Plus motherboard
Ryzen 9 5900X
1x32GB ddr2 3200mhz
120gb for operational
2 nvme 2TB 970 evo plus

I would like to know which linux version (fedora, kernel, unity or LTS) should I install?

do I install chia blockchain or SWAR?
Please help me!
Thanks!

If you’re on Ryzen, you should go for any with kernel 5.11. I’m using Ubuntu 21.04.

I will use 120GB SSD only for windows 10 operating and I will use NVME just for plotting…which one is best for using the operating system?

Windows 10 PRO
Windows 10 HOME
Windows 10 LITE

There is no such thing as Windows 10 Lite, and I certainly would not install any non-Microsoft Certified Windows ISO on a machine for handling crypto…

The advantages of pro include:

Microsoft’s Remote Desktop (RDP)
Hyper-V (virtual machines)
up to 2TB RAM (Home is “limited” to 128GB)
BitLocker drive encryption
Trusted Boot
and a bunch of enterprise-centric stuff that sound cool but isn’t the least bit useful for 99% of people. If you don’t know what it is, you definitely don’t need it.

Honestly, save your money and get Home. Unless you absolutely need the Microsoft Store for Business, Kiosk Mode, Group Policy Management, or deploying mobile devices then you’re wasting your money.

But whatever you do, don’t use “Windows Lite” on any machine with private information. Literally nothing good can come from it.

Pro also lets you defer and control Windows updates better/longer.

Get licenses (totally optional honestly) from scdkey or something. I am not sure if it is different but I use www.vip-scdkey. Com

TYCSK i think is a promo code for 10% off. Look fir windows 10 pro oem(or home… But $2 is worth it for pro).

It seems Hyper-V feature is currently on the Home edition as well (they recently remove Hyper-V feature for the Hypervisor that’s on Home edition as well).

I use Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 for some of my pcs…far less bloatware out of the box. Probably could have a Pro do the same thing as LTSC, but you don’t have to spend the time in tweaking settings and/or modifying registries. KInd of a pain to get a copy of but I suppose it’s more hassle or worry free than Pro or Home.

Linux don’t have windows defender and windows search …