Is my Mad Max slow?

If -r is already set to your max hardware threads (or close enough to it) I don’t think so - it’s a thread multiplier for phase 2, so would only make sense to use it if your -r parameter value is equal to or less than half of your hardware threads - running more threads than you can support natively is just going to add context switching overhead.

However, the nice thing about madmax is you can try these things without waiting hours, try it out and see - maybe instead try -r 6 -K 2 (or -r 5 if you want headroom to use the computer at the same time)

I remoted into my plotter (I know this is a no no, but I am an IT guy and have firewalls in place) and am trying it now. I’ll reply back and post the final times once I get them.

Doing -r 6 -K 2, I was able to shave about 10 minutes off of my time. I went from around 90 minutes to around 80 minutes. I will probably let my 10 plot queue go and compare the times listed.

I have noticed that the times get slower the more plots that have been created. Plot 5 is always slower being created than plot 1 and plot 10 is always slower being created than plot 5. I don’t know if this is just me of if this is common.

There’s nothing wrong with remoting to your plotter. I also do this with my setup :sweat_smile:

My plotting time is consistent. In my case, the first plot is always the fastest since there’s no plot to copy to the final destination yet (your completed plot file will be stored in -t until the copy process’ completed). For the second plot forward, it gets a little bit slower, but I always get the same plotting time till the last plot.

Your SSD temp could be the issue.

There is a known vulnerability in certain versions of MS RDP. As a result, having port 3389 open on your network is bad because it is considered one of the top targets for brute force attacks. Once a hacker finds that port 3389 is open on your network and that communication is flowing over port 3389, the hacker could simply implement a “man in the middle” and capture the encrypted info needed and brute force past the encryption or simply brute force past the Windows log in.

I am also under suspicion that my Silicon Power A60 (2x 512 in RAID 0) are either lousy drives or that since they are close to 50% used up, they are starting to slow due to write cycles.

I believe that’s only possible if you open the port for everyone to connect to, which is not a good practice for any port by the way. However, with a firewall in place, there’s no such risk.

In my usage, I only allow my local network to connect to my RDP server. And if I want to connect over the internet, I buy a dedicated IP and only allow this IP in the RDP server’s firewall.

I don’t pay for a VPN and cannot get a static IP nor do I have a tunnel set up. I should set up an older PC as a sacrificial PC where only it can communicate outside for RDP and certain other tasks. I’ll firewall the hell out of it. Then I’ll just remote into the sacrificial PC to jump via RDP to other PCs on my network. Right now, I use my server to jump to other PCs on the network and that is not best practice.

Bros I pulled out this old thread. I got a dual Xeon E5 2660 V2 384GB DDR3. I made a Ramdisk 360GB for both temp, Mad Max plotting time is 60 minute. Certainly it is not right. I have an HP Z420 E5 2680 V2 128GB randisk, -t NVME, doing 48 minutes a plot.

Reading this thread I think -r 40 for my case is not right. Does -r has certain limit?

Also, what -K does?

@jack6070 You have a 10 core CPU, so set -r 10, below it implies number of threads, but most people seem to set it to number of cores, and IIRC that works better

Usage:
  chia_plot [OPTION...]

-k, --size arg       K size (default = 32, k <= 32)
  -x, --port arg       Network port (default = 8444, chives = 9699, mmx = 11337)
  -n, --count arg      Number of plots to create (default = 1, -1 = infinite)
  -r, --threads arg    Number of threads (default = 4)
  -u, --buckets arg    Number of buckets (default = 256)
  -v, --buckets3 arg   Number of buckets for phase 3+4 (default = buckets)
  -t, --tmpdir arg     Temporary directory, needs ~220 GiB (default = $PWD)
  -2, --tmpdir2 arg    Temporary directory 2, needs ~110 GiB [RAM] (default = <tmpdir>)
  -d, --finaldir arg   Final directory to copy plot in parallel (default = <tmpdir>)
  -s, --stagedir arg   Stage directory to write plot file (default = <tmpdir>)
  -w, --waitforcopy    Wait for copy to start next plot
  -p, --poolkey arg    Pool Public Key (48 bytes)
  -c, --contract arg   Pool Contract Address (62 chars)
  -f, --farmerkey arg  Farmer Public Key (48 bytes)
  -G, --tmptoggle      Alternate tmpdir/tmpdir2 (default = false)
  -D, --directout      Create plot directly in finaldir (default = false)
  -Z, --unique         Make unique plot (default = false)
  -K, --rmulti2 arg    Thread multiplier for P2 (default = 1)
      --version        Print version
      --help           Print help
1 Like

Just look into Team viewer. We used this and I worked for a major global Telcomm company, so if it wasn’t secure, they wouldn’t use it.
TeamViewer: The Remote Desktop Software