Is RAM vs CPU what is more important for plotting?

UPDATED Current result votes:
i5 + DDR3 1333 Mhz - 2 vote
i3 + DDR3 1600 Mhz - 1 vote

Is RAM or CPU more important?

Do I have two PCs here? which one should i use for plooting?

PC one:

• i5-2400 colors: 4, thread: 4
  • DDR3 16 GB 1333 Mhz
  • SSD SATA 500 GB
    *** Result: Slower RAM and slower individual threads, but has more cores and better total CPU performance.**

PC two:

• i3-3220 or i3-3240, I don’t know now, but the difference is probably only in the turbo frequency, which has a larger than the above i5, so the power on a single thread is bigger, but it has only 2 cores, 4 thread.
  • DDR3 16 GB 1600 Mhz
  • SSD SATA 500 GB
    *** Result: This PC has fewer jade as well as threads, where each thread is more powerful, but reportedly the overall performance is less according to passmark cpubechnmark.com. In contrast, it has faster RAM.**

Should I choose a computer with a more powerful CPU or a computer with faster RAM for plotting?

Thanks for support with it.

EDIT: Here is CPUs comaprsion: Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz vs Intel Core i3-3220 @ 3.30GHz vs Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.40GHz vs Intel Core i3-6006U @ 2.00GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

EDIT2: Not a single PC will probably allow me to use all 4 threads, rather 2-3 threads. In that case, I assume I can’t use all 16 GB of 1600 Mhz RAM, so it’s probably better to use a PC with slower RAM but a more powerful CPU? Do I get it right? What is more effective?

CPU matters more than RAM, I think that’s a pretty safe statement.

As to which of the CPU will be better, that’s more difficult.
I am leaning to saying that the single threaded performance is the most important, so in that case the i3’s would be better. But well, don’t quote me on it.

2 Likes

Well, I decided on the i5 a few hours ago and I’m already plotting the first fence.

If I plotted one thread, that one plotting process, I would reach for i3, but if I plan 2-3 plotting processes, or rather just two processes and each of them on two threads, I got better i5.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this, please? Thank you.

But, anyway, to answer your actual question:

I suspect those two computers are going to essentially plot at the same speed. The SATA SSD is probably your main bottleneck. Since you only have 500GB of SSD, you can only plot one plot at a time, anyway. I’d use the i5-2400 because it has a higher turbo frequency and the computer itself will remain more usable if you need to do anything else on that computer at the same time, thanks to its 4 cores compared to the i3’s 2 cores.

1 Like

It is not true that I could only draw one fence. I can draw two in parallel with a slight delay. With a greater delay, feel free to three. A lot of people told me that this SSD for 2-3 rendering is fine, that I would not use nvme on such a PC.

We are talking about a purely plotting PC, which I would not use for anything else.

Current result votes:
i5 + DDR3 1333 Mhz - 1 vote

feel free to vote next if you wish. :slight_smile:

CPU by far. It’s not even close. You want very fast (high clock rate, high per-thread perf) and lots of cores.

edit: on AMD, RAM speed has a larger influence, as I have learned!

1 Like

I understand. Your vote is i5 + DDR3 1333

Thanks you.

Current result votes:
i5 + DDR3 1333 Mhz - 2 vote

Really depends on your setup. You have to benchmark it yourself to see where your bottleneck is. OS does matter. Windows is terribly slow. I’m running Ubuntu server 21.04.

In my case, I’m using a 10th gen i7 with 6c/12t, 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 and 1TB WD SN550 NVMe. Guess where my bottleneck is - the NVMe. I can mathematically four staggered plots in that NVMe, but the RW capacity doesn’t permit me to. I can do12 plots/day, which equates to a new plot every 2 hours… still trying to determine how much further I can squeeze this system.