Is there a limit on a number of plot directories? GUI crashes when adding Plot Directory

Hey guys,
so far I only had internal hard drives and network hard drives to be farmed by my harvester on my main windows machine. Now I am starting to add external G-Drive 14TB and 18TB ones. However, GUI hangs every time I add the plot directories from the external hard drives and it stops farming. So usually only restarting my machine (sometimes multiple times) fixes the problem.

Three questions:

1. Is there a limit on the number of plot directories I can farm in one harvester setup?
  2. Is there a limit on the number of plot directories I can add through the GUI?
  3. Can I run harvester from a command line?

Any info appreciated, thanks!

kpm

1. Not that I know of. I’m running 90 SATA drives on a single farmer and most drives have both a OG and a PP directory for old and new plots respectively, so well over 100 directories listed and all works fine. How many do you have?
  2. I add my directories through the config.yaml file directly but I just tried the UI and it works to add another directory as well. Try adding them directly to the config file.
  3. Yep sure. See the wiki: CLI Commands Reference · Chia-Network/chia-blockchain Wiki · GitHub
1 Like

Thanks @enderTown! I have currently about 20 directories and looking to add about 20 more. I will use the config.yaml from now on. So do you just start the GUI after the .yaml change or do you farm from CLI?

I still use the GUI but I’m looking into CLI myself. And actually I have a little trick to refresh the UI without restarting it after editing the plot directories directly in config.yaml: after you edit and save config.yaml with the UI running, go back into the Plot Directories area and add a directory that you have already added. It won’t get added again, but for some reason this also forces the UI to refresh those plot directories from the config.yaml again, so the end result is that your new directories show up in the list. :man_shrugging:

1 Like