Is there any advantage in plotting k33, k34, k35?

When random message board folks know better than official Chia guides and tips. So, on this basis, we should compel Chia to change their official statement on this? It’s FUD? I get the logic made above but why then after this amount of time, why is Chia still recommending this? If it’s completely illogical then maybe they should remove it all together?

Can you share a refernce to that advice? I did not find any.

If it exist on a resource hosted by Chia Network, we should let them know. I am pretty sure they will remove it because the advice doe not make sny sense.

Across my 19 dedicated Chia drives the average free space per drive is 3.418GB, or 64.95GB in total :smile:

Once your drive is full, you would be hard pressed to have file corruption.

If your drive fails, it is likely due to a hardware issue, where neither chkdsk nor any other software tool will have access to the drive’s files. I cannot envision a scenario where software will fix a drive’s hardware failure.

And if some bizarre combination of events should result in that unlikely scenario, then so be it.
I will not be leaving a K32 (or K33 or K34) worth of space open on my drives. When you add up the number of plots that could be there, across all of your drives, that could be scores of plots. To not utilize that space for increasing your chances for a win, to safeguard yourself for a failure that you will likely not have and almost certainly not be able to fix with software, is wasteful, in my opinion.

And as @Fuzeguy points out, if one of my plots get corrupted, I could either make space on the drive by temporarily copying off some plot, or just delete the offending plot and add a new one.

Based on the above quote from Chia’s developers (no link was given to that source), it seems as if the developers were writing based strictly on ideal circumstances, where the cost of drive space and the cost of electricity were not part of their equation, and neither was “odds” of the circumstance happening.

1 Like

Official Chia tips and tricks via Github = source. And for sure, I appreciate the insight into this. Never doubt the community which comprises of a helluva lot of experts. No, I’m not saying that in a sarcastic way, although I’m tempted.

1 Like

I know this may be old, but what’s the smallest Plot size that will work with chia?

K32 is the smallest one that works

1 Like

right questions is what is in your wallet

there is many confused, misinformed poor souls.

I currently plot 0.05CHF/plot @ >78/day (calculated energy, consumables such as NVMe). My workstation is normally used for CAD or gaming…600CHF for 128GB RAM, can be easily resold for at least 450 CHF…very little loss

there is many arguments, but most kids can’t do simple math.

k33 is 2x k32, and k34 is 4x bigger.

I have 6x LVM JBOD XFS 100-140TB, and there is 1-30GB space left.

Chance to win block is same no matter what you do. 2 plots k32 vs k33 vs 4x k34.

Data taken from a guy with 5900X

k32 28.1396 min
k33 70.5466 min
k34 179.457 min

k32 2.5 plots take same time as k33 or 2 x k32 plots…chance to win block/rewards same
k32 6.5 plots take same time as k34 or 4 x k32 plots

It is simple math. It makes me wonder there is many people still discussing “benefits” of anything >k32.

k32 plots max 0.1$/plot with ROI just for 18TB HDD 10 years at current 30$/XCH. Even purpose built rig costs just 1500$, which may be easily bought used for just 1k or easily resold for at least 50% of new price.

I have heard recently argument from a confused kid preaching about “benefits” of old dual CPU servers with 512GB DDR3 for just 600$ that burn 400-600W, plotting 15min per plot.

I do 1 plot/53W or 150Wh…it is 2.7-4x more with “cheap” server…if you plan to plot 1000 plots…it may be worthy…if you plot the usual 500TB…just lost more in heat. Utility companies reap your “benefits”

what mega-HW one needs for efficient k33-34 plotting?

If you can plot faster than cheap tourist 5 x PC…you would need some dual EPYC/Xeon mega server/workstation with 2TB of RAM, and another intermediate storage to keep up saving those plots.

Some kids do 9min with 2000$ GPUs. Still, storage is bottleneck. Do you wanna spend 5000$ for Intel Optane?

How much space do you have? Normal 500TB costs 15k CHF

What is your ROI? Or do you hope XCH will 60k $ just like BTC? ROFL

1 Like