JBOD Setup Mistake

Thank you! It was such an adventure figuring out.

2 Likes

Hey everybody this thread was very useful for me since I’m too experimenting with my first NAS, in my case it’s a QNAP.
I think I’m going to go for individual STATIC volumes for each drive (storage pools take a lots of Gigs of space and I dont want snapshots anyway), and create a share for each volume; instead of one volume that spans all drives.
QNAP also gives the option to make multiple individual raid groups as “Single” for each drive, and then make one volume that spans all those raid groups, but I believe this would also make the whole volume fail if one drive fails, I think I’m going to test that.!
imagen|690x242

1 Like

Update: Ok so making one volume that spans multiple individual drive raid “single” groups, in qnap, also fails if you disconnect one drive… I had to plug it back in and restart the NAS and the whole volume was back online fine. But it would mess the whole volume up if one drive fails and is not recoverable.
So yeah. I also believe at this point that the most safe route is to go with multiple volumes, one per ddrive, and multiple shares. even if it’s more cumbersome on the management side.

/Cheers!

1 Like

What pisses me off is that you lose some SERIOUS storage space if you make individual volumes with each disk. If you make one JBOD volume with all disks you lose that space once (instead of it being multiplied by the # of disks/volumes) and the rest of the disks storage space is added entirely. /shrug