K33/K34 Plot Times ⏲

I could as I have two drives, but what I did today I feel proves that I don’t have enough ram, the ram disk had 475GB of files, all ram was used, there was not enough ram, it’s not a problem, was just curious if I could do it and what the time would be.

Dual e5-2690v4 and 128GB ddr4. Two instances of madmax, 14 threads each pinned to each numa node can do k34 plots in 180 minutes each. So 2x k34 every 3 hours, or avg of k34 plot every 90 minutes.

1 Like

That needs to be my next test whilst I still have the SSD array.

It depends on how much ram your useing and what exactly your plotting too…soooo. The amount of buckets to use varies.
Also with amount of cores in ur machine.

When plotting to ram directly in a tmpfs. 24 cores. I saw best performance with 512

Less cores and a ssd. 124

Who really knows tho

1 Like

My Mac Studio Ultra makes K=34 also in 90 minutes.

3 Likes

How are you attaching ssd? Internal or external?

it will slow your CPU down :wink:

16 CPU physical cores = -r 16…you leave -K to default 1. HyperThreading was designed for poorly written aps that cannot hog HW properly :wink:

I tried once -r 32 on my 3950X, and it was slower than -r 16…it simply over-queues/schedules/hogs CPU.

I have found normal tourist NVMe WD SN850 or Corsair MP600…famous Samsung 970 Pro, the only one that could really do 2TBs instead of usuall 1-1.5TBs

I see iowait 5% and only 2600% load aka 26/32 threads

You need Intel Optane or other expensive datacenter drives to utilise usual 16 cores

@hajes29a I have 36 physical cores. Two times 18 core CPU’s, they are E5-2699v3 CPU’s :wink:

I also now have a 1.6TB Intel Optane drive, along with 512GB ram.

@Ronski nice HW, and what is your price per plot?

Absolutely no idea, can’t remember how may watts the rig uses, MM was taking 18 minutes for a K32, BB was 12 minutes, but took quite a bit longer when doing multiple plots (transferring off slowed it down). I was mainly plotting K33’s, last ones I did was back in August. Haven’t really tried with the Optane drive, think I actually picked that up after I finished plotting.

1 Like

@Scavenger unless you have free electricity, do not use PBO. It works weird

3950X PBO ~150W all cores hitting 4.25GHz @60°C <20min

5950X PBO2 -10 ~220W all cores 4.3-4.5GHz @72°C idle 1.44V ROFL 18.8min

Booted to Win10,fired up Ryzen Clock tuner from 1usmus…Silver Sample 4.1GHz 1V, maxed 4.4@1.2V

5950X @ 4.3GHz/1.15V <60°C <170W (still waiting for long term average because different GPU used) <19min/plot

All about efficiency/price per plot. I do 0.05$/plot. At current XCH price <30$, it takes 6 years just to repay 18TB HDD.

Speculating about future price of Chia is wishful thinking for poor. What matters is what is right now in your wallet ready to reinvest

If you do not know efficiency, how do you know price per plot and how much you make?

I don’t care, and its far too complicated to work out - I have free solar electricity in the summer months, and when I was plotting in the winter months it was helping to heat the upstairs of the house, in fact that winters gas bill was very low - also had a 3080 running Nicehash (not any more though!) :slight_smile:

So unless I factored in the above its not just about how long and how much electricity it uses.

Cost of creating the plots is quite minimal compared to buying the hardware and running a farming 24/7, luckily I use my server which is on 24/7 anyway.

PS I know I’m at a massive loss at the moment given what I’ve spent on hardware.

1 Like

if you cannot do simple nursery math, I would worry about other things than plotting if I were you :wink:

did you get those PV for free? or did you/family pay 50k$ to install it? With average lifespan od PV 25 years, your price per kWh is usually more than using commercial power lines.

My friend had luck to get gov help 20 years ago…paid only 50% of full price, and PV was repaid in about 15 years. he is slowly reaching the end of the life for PV, and they are losing efficiency quickly. The whole thing did cost him 40k$…he upgraded inverter for high-efficiency one.

There is no such thing as FREE…unless, you live in a rented flat and your landlord doesn’t check consumption :wink:

I can do simple maths, I just can’t be bothered, and if you can’t understand the complications I mentioned, perhaps you should re-read what I wrote :wink:

I paid for the solar install on our house in 2015, this year the solar paid for itself, so any electric it generates now is completely free :smile: In fact I’m installing more solar and adding batteries. So our electric should be free between March to September, and cost greatly reduced the other months as we’ll charge the batteries off peak and run off them during peak cost periods :smiley:

As for the cost per plot, I am really not bothered, I have no need or desire to know, its as simple as that.

1 Like

Best you get back to your nursery then.

1 Like

Optane SSDs (six of them) in RAID0 connected via Thunderbolt Enclosures.

And the compatibility is all there? Really?
You verified thunderbolt? What version?
Are u at bw limits of ur thunderbolt connection?
Honestly ur approach is lil hilarious and yet.

Briliant.

I only had a single 2tb nvme at the time my K=34 80 minutes.