Keen to try madMAx43v3r/chia-plotter but have no idea how to compile it

the idea is to maximise cpu usage, with the official plotter, it’s done by parallel and slowly, with this plotter, it’s done by focusing on finishing 1 plot as a faster time, as long as you’re not bottleneck elsewhere, there shouldn’t be a significant improvement as long as you could max out your cpu usage

when people refer to plotting, it’s refer to the amount of plot made per day, not the individual plot speed as the individual plot speed doesn’t mean anything

1 Like

Tried it. It gets faster single times but can’t do any parallel really. Most people are getting similar times for plots/day, but different hardware requirements.

But, I’m my opinion, plotting like this to a ram temp drive then moving one plot to a farmer, then repeat using 48 threads on a server is much less complex than trying to manage 15 parallel plots with stagger. It also doesn’t destroy any ssds.

Also if I want to stop and change something I can interrupt the process once per hour not once every 16 hours.

As it happens since I’m on Windows I haven’t managed to get it to work yet but I’m sure it will. So back to the parallel plots for me.

A quick test using a 5950x specifying 20 threads, using 980pro nvme as primary temp, and a 110gb ramdisk as secondary temp resulted in a 37 minute plot time for a k32

2 Likes

I’ve installed the latest version on Ubuntu 20.04 from the repo and got the following result
chia_plot --help
chia_plot: command not found
Am I missing something?

cd /path/to/chia-plotter/build
./chia_plot --help

Thank you.
Got that from this issue this

I have two question:

1. If I don’t use the ramdisk for tmpdir2 will the total TBW per plot be the same with this plotter as with the official one?

2. I have 128GB of RAM and a threadripper with 32 cores. With this setup, will it be possible to use 64 threads for one plotter AND use a ramdisk for tempdir2 at the same time? Will the 128GB of RAM be enough?

What’s your setup? To you use a ramdisk for tempdir2?

Hi can anyone guide step by step instruction how to run this mad max potters also how to give PATH to ram disk

1 Like

Why only 20 threads?

IO and other stuff of the os need also a some cpu cycles

has anyone forked swar (or plotman) to work with this?

i could start another plot at phase 4, which would save about 3 minutes per plot for me… but my expertise doesn’t go that far lol

EDIT: fwiw, he’s made massive improvements to phase 3 and 4 speeds, so for those who haven’t been trying out each master every day, if you were getting X plots per day 2-3 days ago, odds are, it’s faster for you now, unless you were already plotting 100% to ramdisk including tmp1 maybe.

I was using the PC for other stuff at the same time and didn’t want it to be swamped

I have been using a 110gb ramdisk on a machine with 128gb total physical memory without issue

I found out how to build MadMax plotter for macOS:

The results are really impressive! :flushed: But perhaps I haven’t found optimal parameters in the standard application. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Whats the minimum RAM requirements tu run madmax plotter? Iam looking to buy a used all xeon server dell or hp

If you want to use ramdisk…128gb min in the machine so you can have at least 110gb ramdisk

And this is for a single plot right?
To do 2 or 4 in parallel, 256 and 512gb?

No, it does not work like that.

It is single plot, balls to the wall consume all resources and not share for parallel plotting :slight_smile: