Linux WiFi works, only while logged in

I used to use screen, and once all of the ctrl-a key commands became second nature, it was a blast!

But how will screen keep my Samsung T5 from unmounting?

When you run screen, it will be running under that user account, even if the user is logged off. So, when you log in as a different user, you can piggy back to that screen, and do all the work from that window. If you add that second user to sudoers list, you can first sudo -s to root, end then su to the other account. (Just tested it on my box, and works fine (headless CentOS).)

Although, I am not sure whether that T5 is unmounted, or just that mount point is not visible to the other user. Still, that means that this user needs to do another mount, though.

I will later restart my plotter, and check how that plotting worked, as I was always using xrdp with it, and never had to go through such mickey mouse business as you are somehow forced to do. Will let you know later or tomorrow.

By the way, did you have a chance to check that page about WiFi power saving in MXLinux? Did you try those solutions?

Yes. I understood most, but not all, of it.

If my work-around does not fix the problem, I will try the “tlpui” application.

I will also look into the settings for:

# WiFi power saving mode: on=enable, off=disable; not supported by all adapters.

WIFI_PWR_ON_AC=off
WIFI_PWR_ON_BAT=on

…and make sure that they are both off.

That was a good article. Thanks for digging it up.

I would start with those settings, as maybe that is just that easy. In that article, there is a third variable that may also be turned off.

Kind of going back to your problem. I didn’t follow it closely, but at some point, you wrote that xrdp differs from win rdp with forcing log off on disconnect. Or rather that was just about the initial connect not being able to piggy back to the currently logged user and that disconnect is just a side effect of screwed up WiFi?

Under Linux, you may have several sessions open with different users for each session. This is maybe where the initial connection to already logged in account is not working. Maybe an account needs to be marked as xrdp capable / enabled to be able to make it able to connect to it. In my case (just checked on Fedora, but it was the same on my Ubuntu plotter), it looks like when you make the first connection to a non-logged user, and you kill that rdp session, that account is marked as xrdp ready, and you can connect to it with the next xrdp session and all your stuff is where you left it. For me that meant that once I have xrdp (or rdp on Win) enabled, I don’t have any monitors (or video cards) on those boxes (no keyboard / mouse as well), and just user rdp/xrdp to connect to them. So, the initial problem is non-existent, as I have a junk account that has auto-login, and I never use that account.

There is really no reason to log in to your box locally, when you have xrdp enabled (unless the box gets screwed up and is in a single mode).

So, make that WiFi nonsense your first priority, create a junk user or disable auto-logon, and do everything using xrdp.

My MX Linux WiFi seems to work only when a user is logged in.

I created a new user, just to have it logged in.
It has been 24 hours, and my WiFi has not dropped.

The above, plus @xkredr59’s fix to install:
$ sudo apt install -y xorgxrdp

…enabled me to both connect and get xrdp to send over its screen.

For now, I am leaving it alone. It works, and it is no big deal for me to have to login with an account to keep the WiFi from taking a siesta.

Down the road, I will attempt to keep the WiFi going at boot time, without having to login.

The article that you supplied (a few replies ago), has a potential solution, by editing:
/etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/wirelesspower.conf

…and setting both of the two options to “off”:

# WiFi power saving mode: on=enable, off=disable; not supported by all adapters.
WIFI_PWR_ON_AC=off
WIFI_PWR_ON_BAT=on

I will get around to trying that.