List of Plotting Performance Tweaks

What is the comparative advantage of using 64 buckets as opposed to 128 buckets?

I think it is a tradeoff between using more memory but getting longer read/write streaks, potentially speeding up temp disk IO.

While this looks plausible for single plots, I do not know how this would hold for plotting in parallel to the same temp drive.

1 Like

I have a 3rd gen i7 spitting out 2/day in queue (consistent on the output rate) on SSD - I will try 8 threads, 8gm ram on 64 buckets on that, willreport any noticeable improvements (near or above 30 mims).

From what I’ve seen so far RAM speed is important (only) on Ryzen systems.

Someone explained it somewhere on the forum, I don’t know where anymore.
Somethin about the limitations of the infinity fabric causing the bandwidth to be limited and this can only be helped by having faster RAM to increase the throughput.

found it:
Comparing plot speeds across CPUs - #41 by acrosbug?

Don’t really know if he’s right, but seems to know what’s he’s talking about.

If you want to know more, here’s more info for:

1 Like

Hi Voodoo,

Refer to the chart on DDR4 write MB/sec, similar to Chia plotting. This also affect 5950x as AMD is using the same Infinity Fabric design. For optimization, use Linux and overclock the memory clock speed. Use multiple ssd instead of 1 ssd to avoid bottleneck on pcie or sata. Maybe Raid0 will help too.

Else sell ur AMD CPU and switch to Intel one for plotting.

1 Like

Well I think I’m running pretty ok dollars spend/plots a day.
I’m not sure at this point if there is much difference between Intel and AMD in that metric.
I might just sell the ram and get something faster instead. But I’m much more interested in storage space atm :rofl:

Intel plots faster, AMD you get more cores/dollar.

If you plot faster you can save on a bit of temp space, but then again intel has many limitations on the m.2 slots and sata ports. So pros and cons either side.

But a lot of the building advice people are looking at on like chiadecentral is Intel focused. So It’s good for people to know that when going for AMD, get fast memory.
I based my build on the info I was reading which focused on number of cores and SSD endurance.
Only later I found out about sustained write speed, the massive importance of single core performance and the fact that you need fast memory for Ryzen.
In many articles, It says things like: just get the cheapest memory you can find…

How can you pin each process to one CPU?

1 Like

If you are on Windows you can use Process Lasso

Or if you plot from the commandline you can just use

start /affinity n chia.exe

where n is the core

1 Like

Thankyou!

I use swar plot manager and saw affinity options in there. But how can you make sure that a specific process uses memory from a specific numa node?

Hello, hope everyone is well.
I am fairly new to this, setup and running my Windows 10 GUI plotter and farmer for 1 week only. I have been reading quiet a bit but still confused about a few optimisation options available in Windows 10 GUI interface.

1 - Number of Threads - I see that people say you don’t need more then 4 or 6 threads otherwise its wasted. SO when I choose this value do I choose across the entire parallel plot number or against 1. Example if I am running 7 parallel plots (I have a ryzen 9 16/32) for the 7 plots would I choose a value of 14 OR just put 4 and the application will allocate 4 for each plot?

2 - My potential threshold is my of parallel plots is capped by 32GB of RAM (as I have good CPU and I have 2x2TB NVME.2 SSD drives for temp storage).
Reading around my cap should be 7 parallel plots. BUT I was wondering if I stagger my parallel plots by 90min it is very likely that plot 6 and 7 will commence after plot 1 and 2 have already finished. So wont that release resources for me to use and are just sitting wasted. So potentially with a long enough timeout I could plot 9 or 10 in parallel.

Hope that all makes sense,

I keep seeing people refer to this optimized chia pos, what is that exactly?

This topic:

1 Like

Hey guys, there’s this site that has user contributed hardware plotting benchmarks, if you can find your set up or something similar you might be able to have a good point of reference. https://chiametrix.com/

1 Like

@gladanimal can you give me some feed back brother
My system
3990x… 64 cores128 threads
256 gb ram
(7) ssd total. (3) sabrent rockt 4.0. (4) samsumg 980
Asus trx40 pro s

So as you can see I have plenty of ram.
I am currently running 8 threads per plot. Is the striping and buckets the same thing? If I run the buckets down to 64, even if it speeds up the plotting by 5%, that will give me 5% more plots a day. Right now my limiter is the number of threads I have. I am considering dropping down to 6 threads to gwt more done.
I am running SWAR for plot management.
Any thought would help brother.

Keep in mind: the numbers you are interested for is a TB/day, not single plot time. I think you can test even 4 threads. This will degrade you speed (may be for 15-20%%) but let you to run x2 seedings.
It seems you able to run about 50-60 plots in parallel :sweat_smile:

1 Like

anyone have any tweaks for me … i feel as if i am limited by my 4tb ssd performance and my I9 core count

i have 3 hdd running *** edit1
i also have a 1 tb hdd for operating system on win 10 ** edit2

i spent 2 days running single plots on 2t, 4t, and 8t, and i can say general consensus is that 4t is the magic number … i would say you will be limited by transfer bottleneck to your storage drives as the ssd clears out complete plots

1 Like

Let me know how well 64 buckets turned out. I did a mix of 128 on one nvme and 64 on another(WD sn750s) and the 128 was way faster.(drives 64k Allocated format).

It might be the mixture at fault… But haven’t seen a benefit… Actually curious if 256 bucket works.