Loading keyring status stuck

I had this issue in the past.

Temporary solution: delete keyring.yaml.lock file and restart windows.
Sometimes might need to try again. Not sure why.

https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain/issues/10648

1 Like

if you are on macOS 10.14, there is no support anymore, but can be installed with kludge just for CLI use. Chia 10.6.x still works though.

When I force close chia program it happens.
I delete .chia_key\keyring.yaml.lock

Hi all,
Here we are years later, and this problem just bite me after running out of disk space lol. This thread is still the top result, so I’m adding to it to hopefully help someone out.

So, my fix wasn’t the keyring.yaml or the lock file - despite saying it was stuck there.

Removing the lock file and restarting a few times didn’t help, so I started to dig deeper. The config.yaml could be opened and looked fine (key words “looked fine”). I renamed the original config, and used the last backup config.yaml, removed the keyring lock file again, and restarted. Job done. It came up first go and started syncing (had been down a day before I realised there was an issue.) I had to spend a few minutes making config changes with path updates etc, but that’s no big.

So, the solution for me: rename config.yaml, and replace it with a backup config file, remove lock file from keyring.

Afterwards I went through the config.yaml that I’d flagged corrupt, but still couldn’t see an issue with it. So why didn’t it like it? I don’t know.

Things learnt from this. Number one - keep a better eye on drive space!! Number two - have a full monthly backup of the trees (including the DB if possible).

Hope this helps someone!

I do not know if you compared the two config.yaml files, side by side, or if you only examined the bad one.

In Windows, the “fc” command will output differences.
In Linux, the “diff” command will output differences.

I believe even a space in the wrong place can break it, its very easily broken.

1 Like

Shutting down chia and copying the two folder every month, is the easiest thing to do. And even give them names like .chia_jan-4, etc
You also can have chia on another machine as a backup and let it sync once in a while for another backup.

Notepad++ (notepad-plus-plus.org)
Just use this and you will forever after.
It has a nice compare feature.

ROFLMAO nosmoke.exe isn’t compatible.

Your just now getting around to June’s posts???

Yep , I do not live here .

1 Like

FWIW, I had this same problem and tried most of the previously mentioned remedies to no effect. In my case, my .chia\mainnet\config\config.yaml had been updated (not by me) to replace all occurrences of localhost with my machine’s host name. I edited the file and replaced my hostname with “localhost” and it started right up.

The same bullshit happened. Version of the program 2.0.1 (the latest today) Deleted everything possible, even the blockchain. Set from scratch, but the program never asks for a mnemonic phrase

Keys are stored elsewhere, need removing.