Lost my internet connection for 2 hours, and now syncing is dragging

I think you need to upgrade.

All your peers look good also this time, and are sending you data. Looking at Larry’s sync time, his average speed was 2Mbps (pathetic, if you consider NVMe write speed - by order of three/four magnitudes). My hope was that at least one/two of those peers would be able to send you data much faster than that. It is not likely, that all your peers are choking (have too low upstream bandwidth). Your setup and download speed are more than adequate to handle that data rate. That implies that potentially this is not just a slow db access but rather some cardinal synchronization error that is causing node to refuse to pick up the speed.

Take a look at this post:

Few things that are worth to notice from that article. They urge to upgrade to v1.2.11. The previous statement was that only v1.2.8/9 were crap. This one implies that they do believe that all previous versions are crap.

They didn’t identify the reason for those problems, just stated that v1.2.11 has some ‘optimizations.’ I read that official statement where it was mentioned what was changed, and nothing there was about optimization, rather standard software practices instead of happy code. I know, we can argue about the meaning of those terms. However, the bottom line is that if one is not able to identify what the problem is, one cannot really fix it, and this is exactly what we see with all those versions.

They didn’t identify which versions are being affected. Again, per that previous official statement, the number of v1.2.8/9 in the field supposedly is very low (a couple of thousands or so). That would imply that not just those versions are barfing. As they didn’t mention which versions are most affected, it may be that v1.2.11 are also hurting. Again, this is not a new dust storm, just a normal day to day network traffic (that slowly grows each day), and nodes already go bad.

They didn’t mention low-power devices this time. Of course, setups like yours and Larry’s put such statements to sleep.

So, do I believe that v1.2.11 is better - yes. Do I believe that v1.2.11 is good - no.

Not sure, whether that would be the fastest way, but you should upgrade to v1.2.11. After that, I would seriously think about switching to Flex Farmer. My next upgrade will be Flex Farmer (I do belong to Flex pool already).

As Chris from Flex stated, that in the event of some serious problems, it may be that just Flex will survive, and I do believe that. However, that also implies that the whole chia will just fold as the code is not production ready, and majority of folks run chia code, not flex.

2 Likes