Mad Max cryptocurrency - The Chia Plot

I got a used Dell Optiplex micro 7050 i5-6500t /Win11 (my 1st!) / 16gb / 500gb sata ssd for like $150. Maybe I can also use it as a harvester for more Chia plots too, as my reg farmer is getting maxed out. I think that should be strong enough.

There are no comparisons between your i5-6500t and my wimpy nodes, as I even don’t think that my Celeron has a fully functioning FPU (thus so slow for Chia) - I think that Celeron was the last one with so crippled FPU. I would think that you can easily run on it both MMX and a harvester, I mean easily. Neither MMX, nor a harvester need a fast drive, so any system drive will do, especially your SSD.

Here is a short comparison - Intel Celeron J4105 vs Intel Core i5-6500T: What is the difference?

So, that chip has faster GPU (for MMX), faster PCIe for Chia’s harvester (whether SATA or USB - less stress on the CPU), although it draws 3x power, but I would assume when maxed, so would not worry about it at all. Heck, that CPU is even faster than my Xeon E3-1220L CPU (2 phys cores, basically some 2011 i3) in my harvester :slight_smile:

Actually, my node runs on i5-8250U that is really close in performance to your chip. If you add PCIe to NVMe card to hold the db, it should be also running fine as Chia’s full node. My node had some problems (not much, didn’t go down, didn’t trigger ‘zombie’ peers) during the very first dust storm, but then I added NVMe, and dropped node count to 20, and it didn’t flinch since that time.

OK, found it - FAQs on discord -

• Do I need to open some ports to allow MMX to communicate with other peers?
    You don’t have to. But if you have fast internet connection and feel like helping out the network by allowing incoming connections, you can enable port forwarding on TCP 12336 for testnet6.

I really don’t understand is the connection between opening the port and “fast internet connection.” When I was syncing from scratch, it was mostly ~500Kbps, and I believe that virtually any ISP connection easily has 10x faster upstream than that, so that should not really be any restriction at all.

Also, Max has mentioned today something about inbound peers taking over outbound ones (if port is forwarded). I really don’t understand what a difference between in- or out-bound connections would be, once connection is made. The initial connection direction only has bearing on the initial handshake, once that is done, those connections are identical.

Although, it is assumed that it is harder to get outbound connections, as potentially not all given peers have port forwarded, but on the other hand, a bunch of inbound peers will jump on a new node. Still, the balance can be achieved by controlling how many connections are allowed in each direction, and given enough time (few minutes), both should max out.

So, in the long run, we will need to have port forwarding or UPnP there to make the network stable, otherwise it may be just too many nodes with not forwarded ports that will exceed the number of possible connections to the nodes with those ports forwarded (so the connection ramping up time may get really long).

v0.6.18 is out.

Once installed, it will remove db folder, and start syncing from scratch. The initial sync (up to the point your last sync) will be fast, as db replay fix is in and will be more or less copying data from block_chain.dat to db folder, and is super fast (even on my wimpy boxes). Once it will get to the point that it needs to bring peers to further sync, it may slow down as at that point, all new transactions are considered not trusted, so will be crunched. Still super-fast.

Is there a forum? Where is everyone sourcing info?
Want to take a look with sales upon us.

Max’s discord, find it in his github.

1 Like

I still don’t get the “point” of this altcoin, and the 10% “fee” for every block found seems extremely excessive. Plus you have to replot on mainnet launch (since nft plots can’t be made right now on the incentivized testnet). Good for the chain creator if it works out for him.

1 Like

You can also say:

I still don’t get the “point” of this altcoin, and the 21m block pre-farm seems extremely excessive

To me, the difference with respect to that statement is that Chia can liquidate that pre-farm at any point (basically crashing the coin, but potentially still rewarding the founders), where this scenario is impossible with MMX.

The second one is how that money is being spent. With Chia, we don’t really know. Also, Chia has developer grants, but so far two (?) of devs got those grants (thinking about Max, Gil, Guy Davis, and several others providing various plot managers, log analyzers, …). On the other hand, I would say that Chia is rather active to roll over those third-party devs, as most likely what they offer is NIH to them.

We don’t really know how that 10% (for MMX) will be spent, but we can hope that it will also go toward project improvement, basically supporting the ecosystem. So far, Max is highly supportive, and listens to basically everyone, and if things are making sense implementing them virtually the same day (it happened to few my requests, but I saw the same response to many other people).

No, you don’t have to. Those plots are as good as it gets. Sure, those plots are OG ones, so most likely smaller farmers will need to convert them to NFT plots at some point. However, in both cases (MMX and Chia), the main driving factor to replot will be plot compression that should be available “soon.”

The secondary driver to replot will be obsoleting lower end k-value plots (i.e., Chia switching to k33, and MMX to k31). This type of push looks like will be rather a rare occurrence, and most likely will coincide with HDs going South at the end of their life span.

1 Like

But what about my 15PB of K32’s

1 Like

Oh, you know the drill. You should get 2 or 3 of those and put them in a SLI mode. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGZJ27SL :slight_smile:

getting the hacksaw out for the T7610 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well the Chia team has made a blockchain from new maths, Max has made a plotter, it doesn’t even compare. If you want to talk about the prefarm, it’s a strategic asset for a company, while the 10% fee is for Max salary (I guess).

My point is : I don’t know what Max’s blockchain’s use is, so I don’t know what I’m paying Max for.

1 Like

So you’ve said twice you don’t know, and who just are you paying anything too? You also forgot to say what your working on.

I don’t understand your reply. When you mine a chain (bitcoin, chia, or other) you provide work by emiting proofs of work, and you get rewarded. I don’t mind contributing to the network of Chia since the company that made this network is very talented. I don’t understand what the goal of Max’s chain is. I vaguely get that throughput is higher, but we saw how the segwit and block size drama unfolded, so i don’t see it as a very good selling point.

1 Like

I am not sure why would you try to glorify Bram / Chia, and diss Max, really. I do get it that you would rather stay with Chia, and that is your choice and is perfectly fine.

If you read about the history of PoS/PoST, looks like the very first publication about PoS was in 2013, and the first implementation was in 2014. In 2018, Bram and one of the authors of the original PoS paper published PoST paper (his about first entrance in that space - cannot find a good read about, but Wikipedia has some article about it). There were other publications around that time about PoST, so potentially it was brewing already for some time. Therefore, attributing all PoST related achievements just to Bram / Chia is kind of misleading.

Max published his MM plotter in June/July 2021. (In my opinion, that plotter basically saved Chia.) After that, he focused on his MMX project that I would say is very similar to what Chia did.

I would look at that that basically everything after bitcoin is just a derivative and incremental work, whether Bram / Chia or Max, or anyone else. So, no Max didn’t publish any crypto papers, but I would not reduce what he did to just a “plotter.”

Also, not sure why you try to say that a company is much different / better than a not incorporated (yet?) project. Whether Max is going to incorporate or not, it is really his decision, and in my opinion doesn’t change anything with respect to this comparison. Whatever Chia says about that prefarm being a “strategic assets” can basically change overnight (for now they need to talk about it as such, as that is potentially the only selling point for VCs). They are a private company, as such can do whatever they feel to do without paying any attention to us, farmers (yes, with some restrictions from VCs (and their lawyers) for now).

I am with you about the use case for MMX. However, I am not that sure what is the use case for Chia anymore.

However, what I can say is that virtually every release that Max produced so far has basically no crashes, and no issues, and he has those more or less every other day. Chia has incorporated about 5 years ago, went mainnet about 1.5 years ago, and is yet to release a stable release.

Sure, we can argue what is more promising, a company with just a working business side, or a project with a working tech side, but at this point arguing about it would be rather academic. Yes, there are plenty of examples of good / best technologies failing, and there are also examples like Theranos (basically an IPO run that didn’t work and the company was brought down by mostly VCs (and their lawyers, of course)).

As I said before, IMO the biggest loss in this space is the fact that Chia didn’t hire Max. Because of that, right now we will see potentially the biggest fragmentation of this space.

1 Like

I second that!!! And it really is sad shame that Chia didn’t put together some test group for their software.

They certainly tried! :joy: :joy: :joy: :laughing: :sweat_smile: :smiley: /s

1 Like

I’m not glorifying anything. I’m questionning why I should put ressources towards one network rather than another. Why should I contribute to a blockchain that offers nothing new? It’s crypto, where every new blockchain is going to 0 faster than you can count to 10. I’m not looking to provide ressources to a project that doesn’t bring any advantages.

I don’t care much about anything else.

1 Like

I am not sure what makes you say Chia is not a working technology. I feel like for about a year now I have been running a node by letting it run. Once every 2 months or so, I login to the machine and update the software if Chia has a new version available. On one particular discord i like to follow, others even run various other blockchain projects on the same rigs as Chia, and they seem fine. Granted, it is a small discord, so take this as just one person’s view.

I believe he’s refering to the potential of Chia in the future. So far they’ve done good work, but they could go bad too, we never know, hopefully not! They’re definitely smart people (as is Max) so I’m sure they’ll figure something out.

(PS: I just sent you a pm)