Mad Max Plotter, some test results, some general info

Hi, had the same problem after 2 plots plotted.
I guess your issue will come back after some runtime.
Try this:

Just found it some minutes ago, so far it’s still running. I think this solved the problem.

Hey
I got 2 issues

1. Does anyone run a dual cpu setup on windows and actually utilizing both at 100% , cause with me only 1 works.
  2. When I set temp 1 to my SSD raid it will start the plot but switch over to C aka Bootdrive and use that instead of raid SSD.

Any help appreciated

How many HDD you have in Raid0? and there capacity?
i got same but the speed is lower

Another interesting observation. On my 5950x with 64g ram and 2x 2tb nvme ssd gen3 sx8100 (one as temp1 and one as temp2) my times dropped from about 2600sec to 2400sec by going from buckets 128 to 256.

Out of curiosity, I tried swapping my temp1 and temp2 not expecting much difference but the times dropped from 2400sec to 2100sec! (both buckets 256). On my X570 tomahawk one of the m.2 slots goes straight to the cpu, and the other goes thru the X570 pch chipset. Having temp2 on the cpu controlled m.2 is what gives this 15% boost, quite interesting! Makes sense since temp2 does more of the writes, but also shows the weakness in the X570 chipset perhaps…

I have 3x300gb and 5x450gb drives with their respective Raid0

I got 3 980 pro 2tb nvme in raid 0

Your plotting is good. i got same with 2TB sabrent NVME. with Ci5 11th gen Laptop

My Plots are beeing processed on my 2 PC’s with SWAR Plot Manager at the moment.

1st Setup: I9 9900KF, 64GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM, 2x 1TB WD Blue (Soon 1x 2TB WD BLACK AN1500 Raid 0 SSD). = 18-20 Plots per Day.

2nd Setup: I7 9700K, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, 2x 1TB WD Blue Plotting SSD’s. = 13-15 Plots per Day.

Anyone has a similiar Setup and tested it with the Madmax Plotter? Do you think it will improve my Plots per Day significantly?

Whats better? Example from my 1st Setup.
Run 1 Plot with max Threads (16 Threads) or Run 2 Plots in Parallel with 8 Threads each?

Can i only select 14 Threads, so i can have a spare 2 Threads for my System left?

Greetings

• XCHeisenberg

Yes max max will improve your plots per day look above at my results getting 40+ plots a day on 9900k post 156

The only way is to set cpu affinities thru task manager or with process lasso but I tested it with process lasso and there will still be enough resources for farming/pool with mad max running. Your best bet if on windows 10 is to use v1709/ or windows server 2019 with v1709 use a program called ntlite and strip everything out of windows not needed for functionality, Cortana, defender, all the BS apps and bloat and then disable down to bare services and you can be at 1gb ram usage for windows and about 60 processes on boot which will significantly drop background tasks and resources used. But even without that you should be fine using all 16threads.

Ok sounds good, i also Checked your Post about the i9 9900kf Setup.
i will definitly be trying the Madmax tomorrow.
So always select all 16 Threads with 1 Plot parallel or better 8 Threads but 2 Plots parallel?
And are the Plots 100% proof, so they are even eligable to win a challenge?

Tried with:
T1 → T2
(Gigabyte Gen.4 2TB → Gigabyte Gen.4 2TB) + (MP600 → MP600) in parallel with 128/256 Buckets + 8 Threads to each

Tried RAID 0 x3 → SSD with 128 Buckets

Tried RAID 0 x2 → RAID 0 x2 with 128 Buckets

So far the first option with 256 buckets gave me more plots per day, even with total amount of threads adding up to 16 CPU was fully utilized.

Strangely, if I set up 512 Buckets + 30 Threads with T1 and T2 in RAID 0 it makes phase 3 double the time

@maxiumpro Can you tell me how do i know which amount of Buckets i should select? What does Buckets mean in General? How do the size of Bucket affect my System or Plotting Time?

That’s really good time, tried your setup but can’t quite get same speed, specially in phase 3, I read your post, I don’t think Windows users can TRIM RAID drives, is it very different btrfs vs windows? Haven’t used linux

TBH, I am toying around with those settings. Read in a post somewhere about it changing SSD usage and RAM temp size.

Ok sounds good.
So you think its possible with my I9 Setup to Run 256 Buckets instead of 128?
With 2TB NVMe Raid 0 and 64GB of RAM?

Yes they are all good plots ran 1000 challenges on 20 of them. And just run 1 mad max plotter at a time that’s it. Your results will be slightly lower than mine but should get 30 a day no problem. That 9900k holds the non ln2 world record in cinebench r20 and r15, and memory bandwidth is higher than you can achieve but my buddies 9700k is getting 50 min plot times on mad max with 3600 ram xmp and 5.2ghz all core

1 Like

Try it, I would say no problem, although I have found it better to have SSD to SSD instead of just one RAID0 doing Temp2+2, at least with Madmax Windows

1 Like

Ok thanks man! As i already said, i will try MadMax soon.
My 2TB WD_Black AN1500 in Raid0 which has really high Write and Read Transferrates should arrive soon, as soon as it arrives i will be installing it in my 9900KF and i will test it with Madmax.
I wonder if the Madmax Plotter also will increase the Plots per Day on my I7 9700K Setup =)

Ok. Would you take the fast NVMe SSD on Temp1 or Temp2?
I have a spare 1TB WD Blue SSD anyways.