MadMax all Ram temps with only 256GB Ram?

Yes only E5-2690v2 (single cpu) and DDR3

Ah alright it’s most likely the DDR3. I had DDR4.

Doesn’t matter. You have 4 of them! Are they 4 separate servers or do you have 1 server with 4 CPUs? If I were you, I’d look into it. I’m currently stacking up my RAM to get to 512GB lol. Currently At 256GB on a dual 2690 v2 setup. Just ran my first madmax ram only plots last night! You wanna come off some of that RAM!? Lol. Setup a dual boot Ubuntu installation and try out Bladebit. I think you might be surprised. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

I have 3 servers each with 4 CPUs and 1TB of RAM. Technically, I have more servers than that, but I gotta wait until larger power circuits get installed–which is actually happening today. These are not all that power efficient, but since I got the hardware free, I can’t complain about that too much.

I can’t imagine how much heat those generate. This is one of the reasons why I am going to one plotting server from my current two. I simply can’t keep the heat down and am hoping it will make a slight difference running one less server. I have all my chia stuff setup in a 220 SQ FT finished room in my basement. It used to be a steady 68 degrees Fahrenheit down there year round, now I hover between 77 to 80 degrees even with A/C blowing.

Yeah, the heat is a bit of an issue when plotting. Running all 3 with 5 MadMax instances in parallel makes that room pretty darn hot. I have AC coming in, but there’s currently no way to vent the heat out at present. The one day we had a mild day here and I opened up windows and turned off the AC, the heat started triggering temp alerts on the hardware. I had tried removing some of the RAM (dropping down to 768GB) to reduce power usage & heat generation, but it impacted performance a LOT. Plot times with MadMax and a RAMDdisk more than doubled. (due to the memory channels not being fully populated from what I can tell)

I might have to see if there’s some way to make a change to vent the heat outside, but I don’t want to put too much money into it, either. I’m in a northern state in the US, so I’m curious to see what that heat generation does for heating my home in the winter. Then again, once I’ve filled my drives with plots and I switch those over to remote harvesters, they don’t really pump out much heat.

Yes you should use Bladebit it would be a lot faster