Hey everyone – I’ve been stalking this forum for a month now and thought I’d finally make a contribution. I downloaded the new v0.0.6 of the Windows MadMax ‘Fury Road’ plotter today and did some light optimization to try and get some quicker times out of my machine. The biggest feature this version has to offer is different buckets for phase 3+4 than phase 1. I methodically changed variables one at a time to dial in my rig, and this new function really seemed to make a huge impact. My experiment follows:
AMD 5950X on a B550-A Pro
128GB 3000MHz DDR4 RAM
Temp Drive 1 - Sabrent Rocket 4TB
Temp Drive 2 - RAM Disk (110GB)
OC provided by AMD Ryzen Master (Where applicable)
A screenshot of my excel spreadsheet used to track progress is pretty self-explanatory.
Each attempt is labeled Plot X, and the variable changed is in BOLD/Green. I changed one variable at a time because #science. Initial values on Plot 1 were based on what I read here. The best results were achieved on Plot 5. You can see the effect changing variables had on the times I recorded in each Phase. I believe it proves speculation on this forum that 16T is better than 32T for the 5950 and then 512 buckets is fantastic for P1, but not so much for P3+4. 128 buckets is ideal for P3+4. Less than 128 buckets was also suboptimal. The effects of very basic OC are also evident and I am certainly leaving something on the table having just simply clicked ‘AUTO OC’ in Ryzen Master. I think a 1600-ish plot time is possible with what I’ve got.
Based on this testing session, I recommend folks with the 5950X try buckets at 512 for P1, 128 for P3+4, and plot for 16T with some sort of OC they know to run well. This set up will churn out 50+ plots per day.
Thanks to all who have posted here and helped me over the last month!
Happy to answer any questions on my set up or approach.