Mining CHIA. Was this worth it. I think that this might have been a massive mistake

Key problem is the price. There is no traders right now. It’s hard to obtain chia coins and it’s only few exchanging stocks. We are still waiting for IPO. Keep holding coins.

1 Like

Actually they can, and do. See Plotting as a Service (PaaS).

And even if they couldn’t, one whale could just create multiple private keys and run multiple farms, so it wouldn’t solve anything.

I started plotting spare space on my desktop in April. I work from home and my pc is always on. I had room for 120 plots, and took about 4 weeks to create them. So far I have won 2 blocks (4 chia) - the latest just two days ago. For me it is a good investment. I’ve bought no hardware and still get occasional rewards. I think this is the kind of user situation that the developers initially anticipated.

6 Likes

And that is exactly how this game was meant to be played. Use your local, spare diskspace to potentially get something in return. No one said we should rush all available large cap HDDs off the shelves.

Of course that is a massive mistake. I also did to some extent (I capped at 50 TB), but was okay with loosing every single penny.

2 Likes

Once official pools start I can see myself asking the same questions as a solo farmer. Never planned to plot more but netspace is going crazy hpool too.

Global fiat paper is about to become recycled paper… You take that fiat paper, you convert it into gold, you wait till the economies come back online that is when they will push interest rates to improve the value of fiat paper, you then sell gold to buy Fiat paper, you get a 1 to 1 on usdc, you get usdc and wait for such time as when economies start to accelerate and reach a peak, you buy your crypto - mining will take just about the same time, but diligent processing of funds will improve your ROI!
If you have a bigger risk appetite, buy RICE on the commodities exchange…and not for eating that is…

"Saylor specifically mentioned Riot, Marathon and Hive, as well as five other miners, noting that they “have agreed to form the Bitcoin Mining Council to promote energy usage transparency & accelerate sustainability initiatives worldwide.” - from an article on cnn website, draw your implications…BTC is at the centre of massive derivatives operations concocted to promote some form of untraceable, unprovable financial manipulation. Those who missed watching INSIDE JOB, please watch it 3-5 times to get an understanding of how the whales do what they do…

I for one refuse to believe when someone in the position of Elon Musk (#1 supplier of EV) tells the market that he learned that BTC was not energy efficient, after pouring in billions into it… PURE MANIPULATION! Market direction of BTC affects XCH…

2 Likes

And your toxicity finally needs to be banned on this forum. I flagged your post again.
I never saw a constructive post from you. Only thing I see is you attacking people. Whats your point?

9 Likes

Very much agreed.
Only posts are calling other people idiots and nothing else

3 Likes

I’ve mined 80xch so it was worth it for me. I have 3.2PB though and spent over $80k in equipment for plotters and drives.

1 Like

Yes, while chia is based on proof of space, to make money it’s half proof of work, aka plotting.
To make money you have to a. add storage continuously , b. outplot the growth of netspace.
So instead of investing in just more (3.7PB) space, you need to invest in plotting power as well.

Each day 4608 blocks can be won, so 32256 per week. To win 1 each week you need a 1/32256=0.000031 share of the netspace as you mentioned. At current netspace of 15 EiB, that’s 487 TB op plotted storage. To keep getting that win a week on average you also have add storage and plot a 0.000031 share of the netspace growth. Putting growth at around 500 PB a day right now, you need to grow 15TB/day yourself.

So at current growth you’ll never get to or keep at your desired 1 win a week with plotting only 10TB a day.
The advanced tab of chiacalculator estimates steady state growth at 5PB per day. So you’ll only start catching up when it hits that. The real question is will it ever go down to 5PB per day?

I’ve read reports from earlier this year with estimates of 1.6 zettabyte of hdd space being shipping by the big 3 hdd manufacturers this year. That’s just over 4500 PB a day. 5 PB netspace growth would be only about 0,1% of daily hdd production, it might be on the low end.

3 Likes

ALL pure BS.
you need to invest 500, 500, 500, 500 and waiting what some day, MAYBE you will win 2 chia, what will give you like 1500 back…

no but thank you.

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

How many coins did you farm in the last 7 days?

Don’t forget that even more so he’s also the #1 supplier of emission credits that allow the car industry to spew out toxins and greenhouse gasses as before.

Dai’umm! Did not know that…man there might be some freakish futuristic manipulation in cahoots with other magnates and front men…they just take us all for the ride, well let’s hope everything works out for the better…the way world is changing now is plenty scary I hope things work out for the less fortunate and the less able so they don’t have to sacrifice on basic necessities and comforts…

1 Like

Hehe, as per the Whitepaper Chia is designed to facilitate the shenanigans of the Fortune 5000. Do you feel lucky? :rofl:

1 Like

No, I am highly skeptical about its future.
Only helium I find is something of a sustainable idea, but an idea nonetheless unless their theory I can see operating realistically first hand before I dismiss the whole “Crypto” phenomenon altogether…(we have 6 helium routers in line for shipment when they can process the production) anyways all this helped me take a decent long position in gold (already in green there) so in 6 months time I will more than break even on my investments if I hit my targets there…sometimes breaking even is as good a win you get, and I am ok with that…

1 Like

Very true. Helium is an interesting business model to bootstrap an IoT internet. It’s a shame they re not open, and so the chances they will be the AOL and not the WWW are very real.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed buddy - maybe helium delivers, but can’t know without getting into it… The way the truths(or the lies) of Chia became too clear too fast once we got involved…
I mean who’s to say that Chia Network is not itself the one running HPool - thing about working in China - little to no barriers of entry - no foreign entity can investigate in China (China has only restricted monetizing and derivative ops on Crypto, there is as such no ban on production of crypto - you can sell the world the Made in China crypto but not sell crypto within China) …how will anyone know anything? The protocol is pre-optimised for pools yet they never had a contingency plan for pooling when even smalltime cpu mining coins have pools…yeaa I am a very suspicious guy aren’t I, lol…