My plotter drive died, need a new one, what should I get?

I would enjoy hearing exactly what your hardware setup consists of, MisterSavage. What 'enterprise hardware is running your farmer, plotter, and harvester? And your hard drives, what are they? Do you dare?

1 Like

I’m saving my full disclosure for a time when I can monetize it. I’m not one of these guys who is going to show anyone how to do something unless there is something in it for me. People want handouts. That’s not me. I would hope in a matter of months I’ll be ready to show the alternate (sensible) way of doing things. And when I post anything, every penny will be costed out. People will know exactly what it costs to set up and operate. The only real negative is in an inflated power consumption, but to me that that’s relative. For example, if you are taking new drives off store shelves, what is the cost to the environment to manufacture and transport new drives to store shelves? I also consider what is the environmental benefit in employing hardware that is deemed EOL but in fact is full of years, and years, and years of life remaining. The key word is overprovisioned. That is what most businesses do. They buy far more than they need. Sure, hours and hours of “on” time, but in reality the drives have done no work whatsoever. But those said drives get pulled out and replaced, because that is the way it is. So to capsulize, I’m not forum friendly in the sense of willingly showing what I’m doing. I don’t want you to compete with me for the same hardware at this stage. Soon the drapes will drop and I will show what I’ve got. Sort of like on my wedding night.

1 Like

1 Like

Then your an old hard drive hugger and can’t let go to junk…

1 Like

I look forward to that day in anticipation, but I guess it may never arrive :wink:

PS. All my current plotting drives are second hand enterprise drives, and they are not SAS.

3 Likes

You lost me about 5 minutes ago but obviously this is true, thus the post.

Wait…what!!!

Joe

1 Like

Yes, sometimes humor to an audience of nerds goes flat. Such is life.

1 Like

I’ve never taken this place seriously. I’ve also never had pants on while posting in here. We’re all good.

Seriously though, that could make a good youtube channel. And you are correct, the smart channels don’t share the sauce until they are already set up and have some lead time (premine a bit, get some product placement, hold some bags before pumping and selling, etc).

Something about these two statements just don’t seem to mesh. I’m trying to understand where you’re coming from but I’m having trouble.

Joe

Bingo. I’m a fisherman. And you know what fisherman (smart ones) DO NOT DO? They don’t go blabbing about their fishing holes. They don’t go into fishing stores and tell the owner where they are catching fish and what lures they are using. It’s obvious right? You advertise what you caught, where you caught it, and what lures to use? The next time to go to your “spot”, guess what? You won’t find a spot to fish from. Full of all the lemmings who couldn’t figure out where to go themselves. So yes, I apply this principle to all things. If you go fishing with me, we have an understanding before we go, and we agree, or you don’t go with me. Yes, I am one hell of a fun guy. All shits and giggles.

Fastskiguy, to understand the comments, you need to figure some things out on your own. Be resourceful. Most people take the easy route. Most people want their hand held. I’m saying at some point when I’m set up I would be happy to help the less inept. I don’t consider you to be inept. I’m just saying Chia should be about reuse. It should not be about new anything. The OGs have an excuse. Chia was worth a lot so buying new made some sense. I’m speaking to new people in this space. Not that there are any of those around here reading, but like fishing, you never know.

1 Like

How can you know that?

The likelihood is that everyone that works out their set-ups are not tuning in for help, because they do not need help. I suspect that the vast majority of folks are doing so of their own accord. Chia’s net space is mostly comprised of people not looking for hand holding. It the opposite were true, then this forum would be like a viral twitter feed.

This forum’s purpose is to share ideas and help one-another. So naturally the postings we will see are in that regard.

As to revealing trade secrets:
If you @MisterSavage divulged 100% of your know-how, netspace would probably not increase by 0.0001%, and your estimated time to win would not change by 1 minute.

You are presenting yourself as a man of intrigue and assigning yourself a level of importance that is unfounded.

3 Likes

You have no fishing hole. I have you on video sneaking over to the next door grill and getting some hot dogs while they were getting the rolls to toast.

3 Likes

Come on, we all know that MisterSavage knows everything :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t worry, no one ever does ever understand, some things just can’t be understood :wink:

1 Like

I never claim to know everything. What I do know is the difference between right and wrong. The words Chia and new should be mutually exclusive. Never to be spoken in the same breath, sentence or statement. I’m only approaching this from the perspective of Chia remaining around the value it is now. The great spike, to the moon moment? Fantasy. Might happen. Not something I’m banking on. So that leaves only one approach in reality. Anyone can invest dumb money and buy new this and that or newish this and that on the used market for a lot of money. I also build out on the concept of the easy out. I have what people who don’t know Chia might want to buy on the used market. I could sell off everything very easily. My operating costs will be higher but there is a decision. Less investment on hardware because of the risk in the project itself. I haven’t arrived at the final destination and there still could be some revisions, regrets or recalculations. I have no problem admitting mistakes. I’m doing what nobody else is doing. No blueprint. Some of what I’m doing could be a mistake but it’s far more rewarding than going and buying a bunch of hardware that serves (no pun intended) no value in churning out coins. I call that waste. If you spend $200 on something that fetches 0 Chia, I would rather put the $200 into a hard drive that earns Chia. Simple.

You are sounding suspiciously like another… ah hem, ‘member’ we know. You know, saying your ‘mysterious’ node has extra some ‘magic’ … yet something u will not divulge. That is an appealing strategy… if you can forgo any known facts and reality.

To illustrate, I can wish I was a butterfly flying high up in the sky … to everyone…but I’m demonstrably not.

Without any substance your claims to the some secret Chia sauce are … like me being that butterfly flying high up in the sky… absolutely and totally worthless. As you might say, “Simple.”

2 Likes

How did you discover what everyone else is doing, to arrive at your assertion that “nobody” is doing what you are doing?

1 Like

You can say he’s full of crap, it’s Saturday!!!

1 Like

We’re talking about a $50 drive here and a few cents of electricity to run it, aren’t we?

Joe

1 Like