Newbie question of error log

Hi

I’ve just been doing the harvester plotting for 3 hours, i just found out about chia earlier today and i have it installed on my Fedora Linux machine and I’m trying to create my first plot and at 12% plotting i got this, what does it mean?

Caught plotting error: Matches do not match with number of write entries 8455306574 8455306573
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "chia/cmds/chia.py", line 134, in <module>
  File "chia/cmds/chia.py", line 130, in main
  File "click/core.py", line 829, in __call__
  File "click/core.py", line 782, in main
  File "click/core.py", line 1259, in invoke
  File "click/core.py", line 1066, in invoke
  File "click/core.py", line 610, in invoke
  File "click/decorators.py", line 21, in new_func
  File "chia/cmds/plotters.py", line 14, in plotters_cmd
  File "chia/plotters/plotters.py", line 346, in call_plotters
  File "chia/plotters/chiapos.py", line 57, in plot_chia
  File "asyncio/base_events.py", line 642, in run_until_complete
  File "chia/plotting/create_plots.py", line 250, in create_plots
RuntimeError: std::exception
[14072] Failed to execute script 'chia' due to unhandled exception!

I can’t say I’ve seen that error before, but it’s worth doing some basic checks:

1. Are you using a dedicated plotting drive (e.g. not the same one that your OS is on)
  2. Do you have enough free space on the plotting drive?
  3. Do you have enough available RAM?

Assuming the answer is ‘yes’ to all of the above, it may be worth checking RAM for errrors (memtest86) and eyeballing the S.M.A.R.T. data for your plotting drive. Or just try again and see where you land.

it might be inadequate ram allocation, it’s running alongside everything else on my system and I’m doing a lot and have a lot of stuff running.
I’m using 3 drives 1 nvme for temp 1, one external usb hdd for temp 2 and an internal hdd for plot storage.

1 Like

I would try only using the nvme for both t1 & t2, USB storage is ok obviously. I’ve experienced issues trying to plot anything on USB attached nvme drives. It could be the chipset used in those devices, not really sure. Sometimes it’s ok, others, not.

mhm yeah, i had multiple issues when trying to use usb hdd for anything chia related so now i have temp 1 the nvme and temp 2 the same drive as the final storage.

Using HD used for plot store asr temp2 is going to slow you greatly. It’s what get used most while plotting, and (everyday) HDs aren’t good for that.

1 Like

is it ok if i skip using temp 2? or can i use an old 120gb SSD for temp 2?

I’m pretty sure that error occurs when you over allocate resources to plotting. Another words, if you allocate more cores (threads) or memory to plotting than you actually have. Like setting the threads to 4 and then firing up 4 plots in parallel but you only actually have 8 cores/threads available. The system gets overloaded and crashes the process. Also, remember that your system and the chia software itself need resources to operate so don’t try to throw everything you have into the plot process.

1 Like

If you’ve got an ssd, I’d try that as -t and your nvme as -2, then compare times to only using your main nvme as -t & -2.

Also WolfGT, nothing happens if you allocate more threads than you have, it just schedules as needed. I mean, my 6c/12t CPU already has 5592 threads going in task mgr, so chia threads are no problem to the scheduler. Best practice is to save a bit for system headroom, but you don’t have to, at least in Win10.

I know for sure that it crashes like that if you over allocate. Maybe I am wrong on the threads, maybe it was memory. Can’t remember exactly. But that was many many updates ago. So who knows. I haven’t plotted in a couple months.

If using OG plotter, and you cause the plotter to use too much memory, say, by using less buckets, or too many parallel plot streams, it will crash absolutely. That’s just one reason to use alternates, not OG.

what are the alternatives to the original? also, do any of them allow for pause / reboot and resume plotting type of deal?

MadMax and BladeBit. MadMax is for those with less than crazy huge amts of memory. I don’t believe you can stop/start either, but I only use MM. The plot time is minimal anyway (me-21-25 min), so pause is just wait til the plot is over unless you want to actually abort during plotting, then “ctrl-c ctrl-c” does that.