Non-techie getting into linux just for chia, bad idea?

As the title said.

Is it a bad idea for a non-tech person to pivot into linux fully just for running Chia?

The most I know about linux are how to ssh, use a little vim, pip install from a github repository, and attach/detach screens because I played around with a seedbox with limited ssh and no sudo/root access.

I’ve never used linux before, my OS has always been windows/osx, but I’ve always been inclined to learn but never had the reason to do so intensively.

So came chia, and it seemed to me that some linux knowledge would be very valuable in working efficiently (the XFS file system), also heard that there were some problem where the farmer machine on windows can’t return the challenge under 30s, and, most importantly - almost unattended, like what plotman is doing right now with automatically moving plots.

Also, ideas on where I should start if I do, too?

Thanks in advance, ppl.

1 Like

Sounds like you have most of the skills you need already. But to directly answer your question: yes, basic Linux experience is a handy skill, and modern Ubuntu installs are actually really nice from an end user experience.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that the current Ubuntu desktop with GUI uses a different scripting language (dash instead of bash) and the more I see the guide in Reddit wiki, it seems to involve a lot of scripting and cron jobs, are these all fundamental to Linux?

I’m actually planning to use a debian buster but then I read that the chia client is tested on Ubuntu instead

If I went to a headless Ubuntu server I’m afraid that I’ll be lost at the booting line with only access to cli :sweat_smile:

I plan to study some basics from udemy and then come back and install something, or should I just jump right in?

Yeah just go for it, all good skills to learn. Also, Ubuntu is basically Debian under the hood, so while separate projects they overlap a lot

1 Like

Doooooooooooo ittttttttt!

Worst case scenario: in 6 months you’ll have 0 XCH but ninja linux skills! (I’m feeling a little, ummm, demoralized by my current 5TB having an expected time to win of 6 months!)

Most of the shells (ash, dash, bash, etc) are pretty much 100% equivalent for every day use. You have to get pretty deep into shell programming before the differences start mattering. And if you prefer bash, it’s easy to make it your default shell.

The “Ubuntu Server” iso image (https://releases.ubuntu.com/20.04.2/ubuntu-20.04.2-live-server-amd64.iso - (1.1GB) has no GUI and also doesn’t auto-suspend!

p.s. “Ubuntu Server” does automatically get an IP address over Wifi. To quickly get out of CLI, I recommend these steps:

1. Install Ubuntu via USB.
  2. Create your user account during the installation procedure.
  3. After install completes, using the text-only login, type: sudo apt install openssh-server
  4. Then type “/sbin/ifconfig” to figure out your IP address. Look for something that starts with “192.”.
  5. From your main windows computer ssh in (e.g., ssh user@<ip-address>) !
2 Likes

awesome, I’m going to assemble my old pc and start building a farmer-full node with linux in order to be able to tinker more with my plotting pc

Thanks a lot folks!