Nucle chia wallet

I just wonder if someone uses this wallet, I just came across it a bit by chance ^^… a possible return from someone who uses it? good or risky?
Cordially
https://nucle.io/

Not here sorry…

Summary

This text will be hidden

1 Like

In my opinion, it doesn’t look particularly risky compared to any other online exchange or online wallet service. If you trust Nucle, the service appears safe to use based on the published source code. In part it depends on what you mean by “risky” :slight_smile:

Pros:

• Nucle doesn’t know your keys (mnemonics)
  • Keys are stored securely (AES encrypted) on your device, in your browser’s localStorage
  • You don’t need to run software that interacts with other peers (even as a light wallet)
  • Less risk of compromise than running network (p2p) software
  • Easy to migrate your wallet from one browser or platform to another
  • You could run the Nucle app on your own full node server and not have to trust them at all

Neutral:

• If you lose some combination of your mnemonics, browser profile, and/or password, you lose your chia

Maybe cons:

• Nucle will know your IP address(es), and what addresses you send XCH to
  • Nucle can monitor how frequently you interact with your wallet
  • The published source hasn’t been updated in 7 months; is it still under development?

Risks:

• if Nucle is compromised
    • the Javascript could be modified to steal your keys
    • they could modify your transaction to send to a different address

I gave it a try and they don’t serve any ads or collect analytics or usage data. There’s no 3rd party Javascript except for core libraries served by unpkg. When I made the test wallet, everything was done in browser. The keys (mnemonics) are AES encrypted and kept the browser’s localStorage.

For what it’s worth, this wallet appears to have been developed as a result of a Chia cultivation grant. This is confirmed at Grants - Chia Network. Nucle’s website says that “[the] Chia Network themselves have verified the entire code base”.

Weight those pros and cons against what your risks and needs are, and you can decide if this is any better or safer to use than running the Chia software as a light wallet on your computer. In some ways, this is more secure than using the Chia software, however, you must trust Nucle not to modify their software, and to remain secure and avoid compromise (which they may be better at than most individuals).

2 Likes