Official vs. Unofficial Pooling

Most comments I see are people replotting gradually moving away from hpool OG plots. Main reason was the profitability is much lower on hpool due to double farmers.

1 Like

Someone sounds angry

Replotting takes time.

Time amounts to money here.

The only reason to replot and enter official pools is to take profit from XCH now.

However, you can do this with Unofficial pools.

Why not just throw your OG plots into an unofficial pool?

It does take time - sure, but in a way it doesn’t really matter how long it takes, as long as you replace plots one at a time/a few at a time rather then deleting them all and starting again because it would still be possible to win solo or OG pool whilst replotting.

The payout on e.g. hpool is only comparable to an NFT pool when you ignore the possible 0.25XCH farmer reward on an NFT pool.

1 Like

That is what I am saying, I have a script working for me, deleting one plot at a time after an nft plot is done in order to make space. My hpool netspace is decreasing at the same rate as my official pool netspace is increasing. This will definitely result in more XCH than staying with Hpool.

2 Likes

You are comparing against HPool.

That does not include other Unofficial pools such as ourselves and Core Pool.

The data clearly shows there is demand for this.

People have not replotted. It’s clear as day.

Why would a person create new OG plots though? You’re working with a space that is very unlikely to grow much, since most people making new plots are going to be making NFT plots if they intend to pool.

Does your client validation require a closed source application? What advantages could you offer to people coming in today, rather than people who are stuck with old plots and either already pooling or intending to stay solo?

Good luck with it, but you’re pretty late to the party.

I’m not arguing that anyone will create new OG plots. I’m looking at the existing data.

We will also support NFT plots.

Chia just enabled transactions May 3rd, so I respectfully disagree.

I don’t mean late to the party for Chia generally - I mean late to the party of providing OG pooling, given it was only meant to be a stop-gap before NFT pools were available.

But, good you are supporting NFT pooling too, I thought you were trying to build a business model entirely around OG pooling.

Yes it is closed source until we feel we can open-source it with good conscience.

Open sourcing a client actually makes it even easier for hackers because they don’t have to decompile.

We will be detailing additional advantages of being a pool member over the coming months.

Heh, it only makes it very slightly more difficult.

When there’s money involved, rest assured someone will be motivated to work out whatever it is you’re doing and bypass it, I assume there is network traffic that can be inspected trivially.

Not trying to discourage you or whatever - just lots of reasons why NFT pools are likely to win out in the end, transactions have only been around since May 3, but NFT pools have only been around since Jul 7.

Soon enough we will open-source it.

It’s better for people to feel safe long-term than to repeat course with what’s happened with HPool.

Everything we do is secured by HTTPS. We will add additional encryption if necessary.

Chialisp is not 100% immune to attacks.

The fact all Official pools are running on the same contract should scare people. I mean that in a long-term sense.

Yeah agreed on all points - open source client would be a clear advantage over OG pools that aren’t.

1 Like

so nothing is done yet?

We’re currently doing Alpha testing.

I’ve been working 60 hours a week easily on this project for the last month around setting up the infrastructure in AWS.

We have a working client plus a dashboard in Production, which you can see below:

I have a lot of ideas on things we can add to improve the farmers’ potential to take profit.

Registration is closed while we work with our testers to continue delivering a solid product.

Beta will be more open and we will announce the dates when we get closer to that point.

We do believe this is a critical step towards supporting OG plots and having the Official Chia team see a path forward for supporting the older plots.

Open Source doesn’t guarantee anything but it’s a step in the right direction long-term.