Periodic bad response times

There is another error that I think kicks it of, error 153.

Your correct on the other from what I’ve seen, can be ignored.

Here’s the link.
I’ve not tried it, as I don’t think it’s the issue, but a problem caused after error Id 153.

When I had those “same identifiers” errors, I didn’t enable that MPIO (what is suggested in that MS article). It may be that there is another reason for that error for USB connected drives, and it is not covered in that article.

As mentioned, I read those other articles suggesting to manually “fix” those GUIDs, but IMO there is a reason GUIDs are generated by the system, so I didn’t do it. Most likely (don’t really remember) my disks at that time were shown offline in diskpart (due to that error). Therefore, forcing them online potentially forced OS to regenerate those GUIDs. There is a link to how to use diskpart to force those drives online in the original post.

I like simple things, so my error list goes only to #3 :slight_smile: I tried to search for that error 153, but am only getting this, what is irrelevant.

Maybe you could open another thread, and ask who is also using USBs that you have?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/ntdebugging/interpreting-event-153-errors

I think many wont realise its a problem, as the plots still show online and farming.

I’ve updated all my drivers, 7 usb, sm bus , wmp I think it was.

I’ve noticed even my un shucked externals which used to show 3 items in them, 1 usb mass storage device, the hdd and a portable device look different now.

I have 4 of them.
3 now don’t show 3 items but 2.
1 is being awkward and won’t drop the extra item.

Where are you finding the drivers? Most of my drives are the Seagate backup plus with the extra usb ports on the front.
Whenever I try to update drivers it just tells me I have the latest version.

I found that, didn’t want to promote it incase I’m wasting my time.
But seeing as you asked, I downloaded snappy driver installer from sourceforge.

1 Like

I’m willing to try anything at this stage.

Part of me thinks it’s a software issue with chia as well, it’s as if it finds one plot with a fault and it drops the complete drive, then snowballs onto others. Problem is I’ve checked my plots and they are all good.

Think this will be my last test today unless I get a second wind.

I’ve attached 2 usb hubs to my system.
1 has all the 5 bay docks attached.
The other has the 4 un shucked drives.

The un shucked all now show 3 items per, so clearly the hdd are showing as 2 items.
I’m hoping if they need to reset, as they are on a different hub it won’t interfere with the 5 bay docks, as they are the only ones that throw the error.

1 Like

Good luck, I’m stopping for the day now. Only so much I can take :joy: Happy to have found someone else in my shoes, thought I was going mad.

1 Like

I would say that those errors in Event Viewer show that the exact opposite thing is happening. Your USB hubs act up, drop drives, and Chia spits out errors as it cannot find plots/drives that it just saw a minute ago, or got the error in the mid of reading. Another thing is to maybe use a different USB port on your computer, at least to try to exclude that possibility.

Ring 3 software cannot cause ring 0 (driver) errors, and Event Viewer shows driver level errors. Ring 0 errors are either due to bad code in the driver, or bad hardware. My guess is the hardware.

We could assume that your HDs may cause those errors, but we all are mostly using Seagate and don’t have those problems, so HDs are most likely not the issue.

By the way, how many drives do you have? Maybe the problem is due to a big number of drives?

This is the way I have been informed it is as well.

This point has been made before and I hesitate to bring it up as everyone wants to defend their USB 2.0 and/or argue about the different types/names of USB 3.0, but …

I have found that using USB 3.0 SS 5GB/s throughout gives me consistently excellent response times. The brief period that I used a regular USB 3.0 2GB/s port I saw my response times drop right away. I bought a powered USB 3.0 SS 5GB/s hub, plugged it into a USB 3.0 SS 5GB/s port and plugged all of my USB 3.0 SS 5GB/s arrays into the hub. Response times returned to their normal excellence immediately.

If any port, hub, cable, or array is not 5GB/s capable then your response times will suffer.

I don’t know if this is your problem but it is the second place I would recommend checking, after making sure that your drives and USB are set to never sleep in your BIOS.

2 Likes

Take it up with the tax man.
If they investigate, see value hitting an account you have control over, and you holding it till price depreciates, I’d bet my bottom dollar they will chase you for fraud.

I have taken it up with my accountant. When my wallet receives funds is the moment of tax basis recognition. I do not custody the pool wallet. The really important thing is doing it consistently over time and not changing your basis of recognition.

This is not tax advice, get your own accountant.

I’m on SS hubs, all 5 bay docks are 5 gig , so this is not my issue.

Considering the docks literally say driver error when they throw a fit, I’m betting that’s the issue.

1 Like

That gives me another thought … firmware updates?

I contacted one vendor, but its Chinese holiday week till the 8th so no one to help, they assure me they will help once they are back.

Completely normal after having dealt with ppl from China for years now.

But thanks for thoughts.

1 Like

My accountant… I’ve had to teach him crypto regs…
That’s a whole other headache for me.

also I agree your hub sounds like its got some issue. I have a bummed out SS 3.1 hub also, but thats my fault for going cheap on it. I dont use it anymore but what a waste of 30 bucks.

If your in the UK, and know a competent firm / person please message me a link.
When I hired mine they were literally the only firm I could find that would touch crypto returns.