Plot takes too much time

Hi guys, I have a server setup for plotting:
Intel Xeon E5-2650 V3 (25MB Cache, 2,3-3,0 GHz, 10/20 , 105W)
2*16GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC
PNY 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe CS2130

But the plotting takes 12-13 hours even if I do parallel 5plot or single
temporary in ssd ofc the final is on hdd.
what am I missing?

Most likely the plot drives are too slow for sustained read/write.

well, the ssd can read 3500MB/s and write with 3000 MB/s is that too slow? should i go for 6-8k range ssd?

All SSDs, nearly without exception, are very fast – but that is based on typical computer use (and Chia is not typical).

The reason that nearly all SSDs are very fast, is because they have a cache that is usually between 25GB to over 100GB (depending on the brand/model/capacity of the SSD).

For normal computer use (non Chia use), when the SSD is not busy writing gigs and gigs of data, it will offload its cache onto its much, much slower NAND fabric. This happens in the background, and is invisible to the user.

For Chia, the cache quickly gets filled, and the SSD is relentlessly being written to. So when the cache runs out, the drive starts using its much, much slower NAND cells for writing, and those cells might be slower than a mechanical hard drive. After all, since nearly no one ever fills the cache, there was no reason for the manufacturer to make the entire drive fast – which would be very pricey.

There are SSDs that will not slow down, and will run very fast, no matter how much Chia pounds on it.

There is a reason why one 2TB SSD is $250, and another 2TB SSD is $450. The latter is probably made to take a pounding, without slowing down.

The figures that are on the box, that show super high speeds…
…well, those figures are for the cache portion of the drive.

The box never tells you the slow speed of the rest of the SSD.

There are Data Center and Enterprise level SSDs, that do not slow down. They also last longer. They also cost more.

The type of NAND cells, from fastest to slowest, are:
SLC, MLC, TLC, and QLC.

The “S” is single.
The “M” is multiple (as in two).
The “T” is triple.
The “Q” is quadruple.

I forget what the “LC” stands for.

If you get an SSD that is 100% SLC, it will fly. So will MLC. You will pay more for those SSDs.
Once you get to TLC, things get slow, and especially slow for QLC SSDs.

As I understand it, the read speeds are fast all of the time for all of the varieties (they will vary, but probably not an issue). It is the write speeds that really suffer for the TLC and QLC SSDs.

I do not know if your PNY SSD is SLC, MLC, TLC, or QLC.
I checked the manufacturer’s web site, and did not find the answer. I suspect it is TLC or QLC, based on your reported plotting performance.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Thank you very much for your effort and time! I aprreciate it bro!
I will looking for another type of ssd which has slc nand cells.

Thank you again! Cheers.

1 Like

Id say, that ur singlethreadperformance is probably affecting ur plottingtimes even more.
That Xeon doesnt even have half the power, that modern CPUs have.

it’s probably both the CPU and NVMe drive. It seems reviews of various models take a guess (or outright say) it’s QLC. Which is no good for plotting really.

Thank you guys for your answers!

CPU + RAM, what you expect from that outdated kind of rig? There is a reason why ppl investing in the hardware.
By the way, I hope you are using Linux istead of Windows. It’s gave me -1h on each.