Plotman issues abound!

Not sure what to say here… Been a linux user for some 20 odd years…
After plotman install via the instructions at github

I find:
Bad assumtions:
plotman assumes chia user name (later found in config) to be chia
yet never mentions it anywhere in the website or in the readme or…

Multiple copies of the config file:
chia@xxxxxxxxx:~$ find . -name plotman.yaml
./chia/.local/config/plotman.yaml
./.config/plotman/plotman.yaml
./.local/config/plotman.yaml
./.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/plotman/resources/plotman.yaml

Undecipherable error:
the following error is undecipherable since the directory shown in the error is not the full path
as such one has no method to correct…
chia@xxxxxxxxxx:~$ plotman plot
…starting plot loop
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/chia/.local/bin/plotman”, line 8, in
sys.exit(main())
File “/home/chia/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/plotman/plotman.py”, line 145, in main
wait_reason = manager.maybe_start_new_plot(cfg.directories, cfg.scheduling, cfg.plotting)
File “/home/chia/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/plotman/manager.py”, line 163, in maybe_start_new_plot
p = subprocess.Popen(plot_args,
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py”, line 854, in init
self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py”, line 1702, in _execute_child
raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘chia’

Again, not sure what to say about this…

I’ve got exactly the same problem, after having granted all the permissions to the dir involved, at the end it tells me what you have written here.
Even after having deactivated the "Archiving"section in plotman.yaml…
Very frustrating…

For the last error

• are you running in a chia venv (e.g. /path to chia/source activate)?
  • do all of the paths in the plotman.yaml exist?

It is a bit rough, I agree. Was the first plot manager I found and I’ve stuck with it, but wasn’t the easiest thing to configure, I now have my own configuration template and wrap it all up in a systemd service, and once it’s configured it works pretty well.

This is the config file to edit btw:

~/.config/plotman/plotman.yaml

I do my tests usually after a “GUI plotting”, so Chia should be “activeted”.
The only path I’ve got in plotman.yaml is:
“/home/chia/mainnet/log”
Instead the default"/home/-user-/logs" which caused me an error in finding the logs directory, which, for the more, is not “logs”, but “log”, by dafault.
Now Plotman finds the logs directory, but then caused me the error above.

It has to be activated in the shell you are running in.

Can you share the sequence of commands you would run to start plotman, starting from an empty shell?

For me it would be something like:

cd /opt/chia-blockchain
source activate
plotman plot

Reason I’m asking this is that looks like it may be the case that plotman can’t find the chia executable, rather than any configured path.

Did you do anything else other than the install instructions for plotman? Like adding things to PATH?

YES !
It works, now.

THANK-YOU

What ended up being the issue? I have the same problem

When you open a file with the file name , you are telling the open() function that your file is in the current working directory. This is called a relative path. If the user does not pass the full path to the file (on Unix type systems this means a path that starts with a slash), the path is interpreted relatively to the current working directory. The current working directory usually is the directory in which you started the program. A good start would be validating the input. In other words, you can make sure that the user has indeed typed a correct path for a real existing file, like this:

while not os.path.isfile(fileName):
    fileName = input("Whoops! No such file! Please enter the name of the file you'd like to use.")

Another way to tell the python file open() function where your file is located is by using an absolute path, e.g.:

f = open("/Users/foo/filename")

In any case, if your Python script file and your data input file are not in the same directory, you always have to specify either a relative path between them or you have to use an absolute path for one of them.