Plots go to SSD and not HDD in Linux

Hello.

I finally got Ubuntu 20.04 up and running and learned some CLI, everything is working great except my plots go on my 500gb Western Digital SSD and not one of the HDDs I have hooked up. the Western Digital is only used for running the OS and nothing else.

I’m very new to CLI but have learned quite a bit this past week. One thing I don’t understand is how /mnt/ is supposed to work.

Screenshot(2)

I used this to format and rename the HDDs. I also was able to crate a RAID0 array with the 3 NVMes I have running and named it SSD which functions as intended. When I make my plots using /mnt/ssd/temp1 -2 /mnt/ssd the RAID0 array works like it should, so I know I did that part right. However when I use -d /mnt/hdd1 the plot still ends up on the Western Digital and the HDDs are completely untouched. I’ll leave a full example of the CLI I used below.

screen -d -m -S chia1 bash -c 'cd /home/user/chia-blockchain && . ./activate && sleep 0h && chia plots create -k 32 -b 4000 -e -r 4 -u 128 -n 16 -t /mnt/ssd/temp1 -2 /mnt/ssd -d /mnt/hdd1 |tee /home/user/chialogs/chia1_1_.log'

I got all this from Build a Budget Chia Cryptocurrency Plotting Rig - Chia Decentral

Also I made sure to chmod 777 everything that would need permission so I don’t think that was the problem. Only thing I can think of is for some reason the HDDs are mounted wrong. The plots go to /home/user/mnt/HDD1 and not the actual HDD. Do I need to make an actual directory on the HDD itself?

Thank you for the help!

In the commands you mount to /mnt/hdd but you are using /mnt/hdd1 as your destination. Since it’s not complaining about destination not being found that must be mounted to SSD.

Can you run the following command:

lsblk

This should show all the mount points. You should be able to see which drives are mounted to which folders.

It appears the HDDs are in /media/user/HDD(1, 2, 3, 4). so if I change -d /mnt/hdd1 to -d /media/user/HDD1 that should send the plot to the external drive?

The reason I suggested lsblk is that you can see the drive name and mount point at the same time so you can identify the correct drive.

It’s hard to say something without seeing the full output. I guess the simplest way would be unplug all the drives except your target drive. Run lsblk again. You should see one mounted drive like /mnt/user/HDDx. Then use that one.

Like it’s I said it’s hard to say without having access but hope this helps.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I have the correct drive targeted. I set up a single plot and will see what happens. Thank you for the help! lsblk was very useful.

I’ll report back later and let you know if it works.

2 Likes

Update: The plot worked as intended. There was a mix up with naming the HDD that has me confused a bit but it should be a nonissue (and honestly more than I’m willing to type out at the moment).

Using lsblk was a big help and I think the order in which I mounted the disks and used chmod 777 made a difference. I went into each HDD and checked properties and went into permissions and made sure they were all the same. I started 12 plots in parallel all going to 3 different HDDs, I’ll let you know how it works out.

1 Like