I’ve tried running 3 separate plots now (including one where I just used default settings), and each time, the plot stalled in phase 3.
My question: Where do I begin to investigate what’s going on? Are there logs I can be looking for? I still see CPU activity by Chia when this happens (in fact, oddly, the CPU seems to be stuck at 12% when this happens), I’ve been tailing debug logs but they’re just showing Farming activity (which seems to be running fine).
So it seems to have happened yet again. My debug logs are still flowing fine from a farming perspective, but my Plotting is stuck at 71%, and strangely the Chia process is stuck at exactly 12% CPU again. Very confused what’s happening.
Alright, ran memtest86 against each individual ram stick in my NUC, and discovered one is riddled with errors and the other seems fine. So I’m going to try and run a plot now with just the one good stick in the machine and see what happens.
Pre-Chia, the only “computers” I had built in the last 10+ years were Raspberry Pi’s. I’ve been on MacBooks both professionally and personally for a long time now, so I’ve gotten pretty rusty with building machines and the newer components (I wasn’t even really aware of what an NVME drive was before getting into Chia haha).
It’s been fun to dust off some old knowledge and learn some new things with this, albeit frustrating in this case chasing demons in the machine.
I was having chia plots stall randomly in stage 3 just like you were. I went so far as to fork plotman to detect a stalled job and kill it thinking it was just a fluke. I ran memtest and found a bad stick in my new plotting rig. Thanks for the help!
I was curious if the plots made on the faulty machine that didn’t crash would be valid, so I ran chia plots check and about 5% of the plots ended up being invalid. Wouldn’t hurt to double check if you were able to get some plots complete while you had the memory issue.