Plotting 16 TB disk

I have plotted 146 files on 16 TB hard disk (k32). It says 102 GB empty (14.5 TB total). Can I put one more plot in?

I have 147 plots each on my 16TB Seagates

102GB is not enough, 102GiB is OK
it need 109GB

1 Like

might be a filesystem related difference.

Different OS using various reserved portions of the disk with each file system.

e.g. if I format a disk under windows with standard settings (ntfs), it creates an extra partition for system functions.
If formatting ntfs under Linux, it uses the whole disk. I think formatting ext4 with Linux also reserves some space by default, there is a topic about that somewhere on the forum.

if have more than one disks left 102GB, you can create a raid0 on them, to continue save plots.

Interesting… I can only fit 145 (k32) plots in my 16TB Seagate (Exos X16) in Ext4 formatting (no reserved blocks).

I guess the formatting makes a difference of 1 or 2 plots?

The best I can do is leave about 20GB free after filling my best utilized drive. In Windows, I try to use exFAT for every drive because the “reserve partition” for partition table etc is smaller from what I experienced. exFAT has the benefit of being compatible with Linux (and Mac) so that is a bonus for me.

Assuming all k32, what’s your drive model, filesystem and filesystem settings?

I have the same disk exos x16 windows ntfs format 146 files 8 TB takes 73 files.

1 Like

Not exactly. At least in Windows, you’d need to take the drive offline. Then unallocate the unused space of all the drives you want to RAID (storage spaces). In the case of the 102GB free, you’d lose some to formatting and the RAID stuff. Then it becomes not worth it. The only way I see RAID being better is for lots of small drives like 3/4/6/8 TB. Otherwise, for large enough drives, you want separate drives so you can transfer plots to more than 1 drive at a time if the system can handle it.

On windows, No need take offline, just shrink the logic disk space. then 100GB raw disk will show

If I shrink the space anything will happen to plot files?
It says: “When you shrink a partition, any ordinary files are automatically relocated on the disk to create the new unallocated space. There is no need to reformat the disk to shrink the partition.”
If the partition is a raw partition (that is, one without a file system) that contains data (such as a database file), shrinking the partition might destroy the data.
“You can only shrink basic volumes that have no file system or that use the NTFS file system.”

So, it is a way of making new partition?

" * When you shrink a partition, certain files (for example, the paging file or the shadow copy storage area) cannot be automatically relocated, and you cannot decrease the allocated space beyond the point where the unmovable files are located. If the shrink operation fails, check the Application Log for Event 259, which will identify the unmovable file. If you know the cluster(s) associated with the file that is preventing the shrink operation, you can also use the fsutil command at a command prompt (type fsutil volume querycluster /? for usage). When you provide the querycluster parameter, the command output will identify the unmovable file that is preventing the shrink operation from succeeding. In some cases, you can relocate the file temporarily. For example, if you need to shrink the partition further, you can use Control Panel to move the paging file or stored shadow copies to another disk, delete the stored shadow copies, shrink the volume, and then move the paging file back to the disk. If the number of bad clusters detected by dynamic bad-cluster remapping is too high, you cannot shrink the partition. If this occurs, you should consider moving the data and replacing the disk."

“You can add more space to existing primary partitions and logical drives by extending them into adjacent, contiguous unallocated space on the same disk. To extend a basic volume, it must be formatted with the NTFS file system. You can extend a logical drive within contiguous free space in the extended partition that contains it. If you extend a logical drive beyond the free space available in the extended partition, the extended partition grows to contain the logical drive as long as the extended partition is followed by contiguous unallocated space.”

You are correct. There are programs for Windows like MiniTool Partition Wizard and EaseUS partition manager that help with this.I forget which of these tools has this feature in the free version but one of them allows you to shrink a drive and then physically move the partition to get around the page file or the MBR record table or excessive/weird fragmentation etc.

I know because I have tried. If Windows says the drive is too badly fragmented (and defrag doesn’t help), you probably won’t be able to make the partition you want because you wouldn’t be able to shrink the drive far enough. That is where the programs I mentioned come in. They try to help manually move partitions and unallocated space on drives.

4 TB take 36 Plots
6 TB take 45 Plots
8 TB take 73 Plots
10 TB take 91 Plots
12 TB take 110 Plots
(all on NTFS)

not use exFAT, it eat too much place for your plots

sorry, 5TB take 45 Plots

I have several seagate exos 16tb x18 and all of them are filled with 147 plots.

this related to the disk brand and filesystem.
plot file size is 101.25~101.45GiB,most case is 101.3~101.4GiB

16,000,000,000,000/1024/1024/1024/101.4 = 146.95425240481
16,000,000,000,000/1024/1024/1024/101.3 = 147.09932076849
16,000,000,000,000/1024/1024/1024/101.45 = 146.88182546917
16,000,000,000,000/1024/1024/1024/101.25 = 147.1719624083

I always trace a plan in: https://plot-plan.chia.foxypool.io/ and using k33-k32 plots disks are fulled at 99’X%.

You need to know the number of avaiable bytes in disck, convert them into GB and insert this result in the calculator.

In your case I don’t know which is the best solution.

5% reserved by root in linux using ext4. Can be disabled via a single command.

6TB - 55 plots not 45.