Problem when I connect many disks to the farm

On the other hand, regarding the spin up, it is true and it seems to me a fantastic solution (I already used it) to avoid the high consumption of operation of the disks when turning them on.

In that case, Iā€™d solve it with a sledge-hammer method - have one of your PSUā€™s powered via a smart socket that you can switch on after the OS has booted. This would allow a smaller number of disks to be detected by BIOS at power on, with the remainder being detected by the OS a little later (after you have powered on the PSU via the smart socket).

1 Like

My God, youā€™re damn right. How come I did not think of it before? How could I do this? I am currently using two add2psu to synchronize the operation of the power supplies. The main source to the motherboard and the other 2 connected in a chain.

Use something like these:

There are a few other things you also need to do:

1. Separate your PSU(s) so that the utility power to one of them is controlled via one smart socket, and the other(s) by the second smart socket.

2. Jumper the second ATX PSU (pins 14 & 15) so that it powers up as soon as utility power is turned on via the second smart socket.

3. Set in BIOS for the PC to turn on as soon as utility power is turned on (usually it is called something like ā€œafter power failureā€, and typically has three options - OFF, ON, Last State. You need ā€˜ONā€™).

Now you have control of the entire system - ability to power on one smart socket (and thus the PC and most hard drives), and a few minutes later, you can power on the second smart socket which will apply power to the remaining disks.

I use similar systems on all of my rigs for total remote control if I ever lose remote access. Having the ability to remotely power cycle is necessary occasionally.

Can this use? 10 seconds relay.

Have you ruled out cable problems ? Those can be nasty.

Also is the 850w psu the same model for the three? Some psusā€™ rails donā€™t provide many amps. See if you can try another one or switch things around and try to replicate with thoses psus on another tower. If you have a server psu with break out board, Iā€™d try that too.

Some cards perform poorly with any drive larger than 8tb. I got rid of mine because of similar issues. I recommend a hba instead. 9300 16i board would be a good replacement.