Profitability Switching: PoST vs. PoW

I think it’s good for Chia or, more generally, PoST if you ignore the monetary side of things and only consider the technology.

I think identity and reputation are two markets that are in need of disruption and PoST is a possible system that could provide better anti-bot, bad actor detection than anything we currently have.

I wrote a longer thread here.

PoST using idle capacity favors the proverbial “little guy” if the incremental cost of proving idle capacity is near $0. It creates a unique scenario where small participants have an economic advantage over large participants because small participants are using capacity that’s normally wasted, so their incremental cost is $0. Running at scale requires buying dedicated resources and there’s a real cost involved with that (as many Chia farming hopefuls have learned).

So, IMO, not being able to easily switch between blockchains could be a valuable feature.

In terms of only XCH value, if the price of Chia shoots to the moon, there won’t be 100 million flavor of the month miners jumping on board at the drop of a hat. The price of XCH would need to be astronomical (IMO) to justify it and the netspace would grow so fast at that point that it would create a disincentive in terms of hopping on the bandwagon. It’s the same thing we’re seeing now, but on a larger scale.

1 Like