Recommendation on remote farming setup

Howdy,

I have the following setup:

• 1 PC acting as a chia fullnode
  • 1 Server acting as a chia harvester (connected to the chia fullnode)
  • WAN 1gbps up and down
  • LAN 1gbps up and down
  • ~3000 plots. 1000 on the PC and 2000 on the server (if that matters)

This setup works like a charm!
BUT i would like to move all my equipment to my garage which is “off grid”, meaning there is no internet. Theres quite a lot off stuff to move so i would like to make sure it will work theoretically :slight_smile:

So i have setup an Teltonika RUT955 4G router at the garage and i get the following speeds:

root@Teltonika-RUT955:~# speedtest-netperf.sh -t 10
2022-11-20 11:20:26 Starting speedtest for 10 seconds per transfer session.
Measure speed to netperf.bufferbloat.net (IPv4) while pinging gstatic.com.
Download and upload sessions are sequential, each with 5 simultaneous streams.
 Download:  16.62 Mbps
  Latency: [in msec, 12 pings, 0.00% packet loss]
      Min:  40.921
    10pct:  40.921
   Median: 789.867
      Avg: 788.492
    90pct: 1148.358
      Max: 1358.283
 CPU Load: [in % busy (avg +/- std dev), 10 samples]
     cpu0:  32.8 +/-  6.3
 Overhead: [in % used of total CPU available]
  netperf:  19.5
   Upload:  10.14 Mbps
  Latency: [in msec, 12 pings, 0.00% packet loss]
      Min:  42.601
    10pct:  42.601
   Median: 338.455
      Avg: 326.902
    90pct: 453.049
      Max: 531.107
 CPU Load: [in % busy (avg +/- std dev), 10 samples]
     cpu0:  41.8 +/- 17.8
 Overhead: [in % used of total CPU available]
  netperf:   9.4

This router has only 100/100mbps LAN interfaces and currently i can only use 6GB internet data each month.

Will the WAN and LAN speeds be sufficient enough to run my the chia fullnode (the PC) and the harvester (the server)?

1 Like

Im no network genius, but i think those speeds will be fine, id await others opinions though.

As for 6gb per month.

Look at your current up and down on your client , that will allow you to calculate if thats enough data allowance.
But expect it to rise as more data goes on chain and dust storms happen, so youd want some allowances for that.

2 Likes

I also worry if your node is using that data capped line - I had my rig offline for half the day yesterday, so fresh reboot on stats: I’ve downloaded 447 MiB and uploaded 1.6 GiB in the last 9 hours.

3 Likes

That should be more than sufficient, there isn’t large data transfer requirements for the Chia network although as Bones points out that may not be the case in the future.
Flexfarmer uses minimal data (its designed to to reduce data transfer costs on our end) if you have issues I’d suggest checking it out.

So if i run the flexfarmer node i dont need the chia fullnode?
Ideal scenario for me would be to have my chia wallet on an another computer other then the farmers/harvesters.

Yes. It is meant to be run on a separate low-power/resource device to reduce electrical use of farming and free up your main PC. This helps reduce your hardware requirements for farming and increases sustainability. Feel free to use it on a blank device with ports closed in a container. A Pi4 being an example or an old PC you could repurpose.

I believe (correct me if I’m wrong) the newest version of Chia software supports making a wallet without an internet connection so you can enter that wallet address into Flexfarmer and farm to it without your wallet PC ever being vulnerable.

Here’s my Ubuntu GUI Flexfarmer guide

Windows Guide

Flexfarmer webpage

Sorry if my questions are stupid. But since i have plots on two machines. Does each machine need to run an instance of the Flexfarmer?

Yes. But its resource use is minimal. If you setup your PC’s to restart after a power outage or issue you can also setup FF to start on startup so that little farming is lost.

If you’ve done GPU mining its very similar to a GPU miner. Some have setup FF to run on Hive OS to combine GPU and HDD mining PCs.

That sounds great, i need to test that :slight_smile:

But i do not have NFT plots, i only have “regular plots”. Will flexfarmer work with regular plots?

No only NFT plots.

If it helps you’ll be required to replot in a few months anyway. Check us out then if you don’t want to replot now.

I will :slight_smile: I need to read more about nft plots :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answers!

1 Like

I have a harvester also in a remote place. but few plots. since it was a test, but in the end I use it for testing. I have it connected to a 4G router. with w10 LTSC +4GB ram+amd x2 3800
Vpn to my home, with which I can connect via remote desktop. I also have teamviewer installed in case the vpn goes down, and configured so that if the light goes down it starts again.
I started the harvester with a small .BAT file and everything was perfect

1 Like

I did have NFT plots :slight_smile:
Is it possible for me to contact you on Flexpool discord channel?

For Flexfarmer questions just leave a message in the flexfarmer channel and we’re happy to help.

1 Like

To address a couple of your questions (some as discussed on Flexpool Discord too)

Network interface speed is not that important. I ran 2-3 plotters/farmers with full nodes over a ~16mbit powerline link that was nowhere near saturated except when doing the initial OS update after installing Ubuntu.

I run a full Chia Blockchain node for the node and wallet, and Flexfarmer for farming about 102TB, on a single NUC on my home network. It used 31.28GB down/7.11GB up in the past 30 days. But don’t panic.

For the past 30 days, breaking out only port 443 (which Flexfarmer uses), it comes to 1.367GB total up and down combined, but that also includes Ubuntu and Cloudflare traffic.

Take out Ubuntu updates and DOH traffic and it’s 581MB per month.

These are personal observations based on my 102TB farmer and Meraki analytics, not an official measurement or commitment.

With Flexfarmer you still need other software (usually the Chia Blockchain node) for plotnft operations (including creating plotnfts and getting details about your plotnft to run external plotters) and wallet operations (which have options but you’re on your own for those). Last year we found that many/most Flexfarmer users still run a full node, and some (myself included) have multiple full nodes. But you can shut it down when you don’t need it, and just resync from there.

I will try to run some new bandwidth metrics on Flexfarmer without the full node or any software updates running, later this weekend.