Roi on 14tb hard drive

Has anyone done the numbers. If one 14tb drive costs 250$ how long does it take to make that money back?? Once it’s full of plots. Like how much chia is that one drive worth for its 6 year lifetime?

1 Like

No way to tell. Over such a long period you’d have to factor in developmens on power costs and netspace . Each of those can have huge effect on ROI, let alone both . But… If you can predict those factors, there’s better ways to invest 250$ I guess;-)

2 Likes

There is also the resale value of the drive. It might not be much, after a few years. But it counts.

2 Likes

Quick google sheets math shows 1,261 days ROI, That does NOT include power.

Ill be honest though, I wouldn’t spend $250 for a 14 TB drive. Re-sale of the drive can bring that down if you use today math, But who know how much a TB will be worth in a few years. We may all have 100TB SSD’s that we toss around by then.

2 Likes

In my part of town, a 6 watts mosty idling drive at .12 kWh rates costs me about $6.70 a year in power, or about $40.30 for those six years you are looking at. It’s nothing near as brutal as GPU mining but it is a consideration!

3 Likes

Lots of info already here. Change numbers to suit.

1 Like

You can take that times 5 for Western Europe, so running cost for 6 years is close to the initial investment for the drive :astonished:

1 Like

Power in the UK is to hit £0.59 per kWh in October, that’s US $0.64

2 Likes

there is no resale value on the drive

I wish for once people would let that sink in through their thick skulls

Apparently, you have not gotten the word out.
Where have you been advertising your news?

It seems that people are still selling used drives on eBay, newegg, and even negotiating sales on this forum’s “Buy/Sell/Trade” section.

I might be missing the news on other items, too. So before I waste my time trying to sell my car, do cars have a resale value?

2 Likes

I think what he probably means is, “I wouldn’t buy one…”.

1 Like

That is not what @efIN6FN2UM wrote.

And considering that he wrote “I wish for once people would let that sink in through their thick skulls”, he meant what he wrote.

1 Like

Well who know’s why he’s thinking that. In essence, he’s saying if he buys a $200 drive today, it’s worth $0 tomorrow.

We all know he’s wrong!

2 Likes

Considering recently I’ve sold various drives at good prices you are very clearly mistaken. Suggest your skull is thicker than you think it is :wink:

1 Like

Wow - that really smarts…! :hushed:

2 Likes

Looks like the government might be capping at the current rate of £0.29, hopefully not the October rate.

3 Likes