Samsung Rapid Mode may speed up your plotting

I tested the effects of enabling Samsung’s “Rapid Mode” (driver level topology aware RAM caching AFAIK) on my 1 TB 870 EVO SATA drive and saw a significant improvement. As always, YMMV.

Times below are for single plots on an Intel Core I7 6700, 4 threads, 6780 MiB buffer, Synology NAS final destination

Rapid Mode Phase1Seconds Phase2Seconds Phase3Seconds Phase4Seconds CopyTimeSeconds TotalSeconds Threads Buffer Buckets ApproximateWorkingSpace FinalFileSize
On 03h 13m 24s 01h 19m 23s 02h 55m 25s 14m 23s 15m 26s 07h 42m 37s 4 6780 MB 128 269.343 GiB 101.355 GiB
Off 03h 29m 59s 01h 24m 23s 03h 20m 14s 27m 55s 15m 30s 08h 42m 33s 4 6780 MB 128 269.421 GiB 101.397 GiB
1 Like

How many tests have you run? I’m curious if the benefit is real. Rapid Mode uses your systems ram as a cache for your SSD. I suspect that your sustained read/write speeds will not benefit from this, given the amount of data and the fact it still needs written to the slow SSD.

This is a single test, but on the same system with all other parameters equal. More would be better, but e.g. looking at phase 4 with an almost 2x improvement I’d say results are at least fairly interesting and beyond mere noise. I’ll try to run a similar test with 2 concurrent plots as well.

Well, I have an brand new 1TB 870 EVO sitting right here… Maybe I’ll give it a try. I’ll have to use a lower powered system (one of my GPU mining rigs). I don’t want to stop any of my heavy duty plotters.

1 Like

certainly interesting, did it use more ram than normal for the plot?

how much ram do you have on that plotter?

16G. I was not there to check, but I believe the feature uses 1GB of ram per drive.

I find this a lot in Google’s cache, but can’t pin down the source.

RAPID consumes at most 25% of the installed DRAM, up to a maximum of 1GB, but will scale down resource usage and eventually revert to a pass-through mode if the CPU core(s) or DRAM is occupied with other system tasks. (This technology is really designed to make use of excess system resources)

Thanks for sharing these results! Rapid mode also indicated it would let the drive run hotter, at a higher power state:

I decided to run some tests…

This was performed a lower powered computer.
CPU: Ryzen 3400G
Memory: 32GB 3200 MHz
SSD: Brand New Samsung 1TB 870 EVO

No plots where created in parallel. One plot at a time.

Summary

Seems like for me that enabling rapid mode helps a tiny bit, not something I think I would care about.

Here are the details of each set of tests. For some reason the first plot took longer in each set. So I ignored it.

Rapid Mode Disabled

Test #1

Test #2

Test #3

Test #4

Average - Rapid Mode Disabled (3 Test, Test #1 Excluded)

Rapid Mode Enabled

Test #1

Test #2

Test #3

Test #4

Average - Rapid Mode Enabled (3 Tests, Test #1 Excluded)

Interesting. Might be the processor architecture?