Selling chia farm

No need to tell me, I’m fully aware of the need to ventilate them, this is all my drives, the first 43 is a 10TB WD elements which seems to run slightly hotter even though it is ventilated by 120mm fan directly under it. The 48 and 45 is my two NVME drives.

Just collected my five 16TB drives from my brothers, and just about to shuck the first one - they will all be shucked and installed in my server. I’m really hoping there isn’t any long term damage from the excessive temperature - this one has reached 68c at some point!!! The room may have been well ventilated but the drives have certainly not been.

Yea, I have a couple like that, I always wonder, “What goes on inside these that make them that way?” Bearings, motor problem, different parts used, why? Certainly ones in my PC case (sata) run warmer, but that’s expected as the fans there are not ventilating as well.

Aside from that, I like to keep all my nvmes well cooled (heat sinks or fans or both), I don’t like to see over 50C for them. They have so little thermal mass to absorb heat surges, I worry they can get damaged.

I would go for motors. I guess, their goal is to reduce the BOM cost and keep warranty time replacement cost down. Therefore, if they would go for lower quality bearing that would potentially increase replacement cost. On the other hand, having decent bearing let them use less expensive / hotter motors. That would be my guess.

What are you running to display the temp in taskbar

They have a free version???

Both the NVME drives have heat sinks on, and the case has good airflow, maximum temperature during entire lifespan is 56c, probably when I was using them for plotting.

And what version are you running???

Standard, its quite cheap to buy, but you can use it for free, when you first open it you just get a nag screen that you can’t close for 10 seconds. I bought two licences for the two main PC’s, one other PC I just run it with the nag screen. There may be some limitations with an unlicensed version though.

1 Like

Can you use one copy for a couple of machines to test, if you bought one copy?

No idea, haven’t tried that.