Share your Tales of Chia Plot Loss Woe and Agony! šŸ˜±

you want sad, I was predicted 250 XCH with my 100Tb farm and 30 a day plotter server back on 12th march however after numerous errors one being 2 faulty network cables (jumping between 100Mbps and 1000mbps) 10 day lost, dead HDs from eBay, NAS not building raid quick enough (14 days lost), NAS be too slow was taking over 30 seconds to serve drives (6 days lost), I have a massive 6 XCH. Could have purchased a house on 200 XCH but now I will have just enough to cover costs.

N0 1 take away DO NOT trust network cables from chia.

No 2 do not trust a seconds brand cable.

No 3 just say no to any raid (plotter or farmer)

2 Likes

but Chia doesnā€™t sell network cables?? :face_with_monocle: Did you mean China??

@puchimba

Have you seen plotman? GitHub - ericaltendorf/plotman: Chia plotting manager

I was planning on creating a management tool too until I found that. I havenā€™t got it implemented yet, but am trying that first.

Thread for that here: The 'Plotman is awesome' thread

1 Like

and chiadog to manage logs files

Not better to mount your disks to readonly?

Had a big scare yesterday after a momentary power outage, my NAS boxes appeared empty and drive checks were failingā€¦ Seemed like I might lose over 300 plots, but after about a half hour the drive checks finally would start & complete, and everything came back fine. I did lose ~14 plots in progress. Ordered some UPS to protect everything.

3 Likes

Yeah even my terra-masters survived a surprise power-off while they were writing to diskā€¦ give it up for NASes, they kinda suck at chia but they do work as reliable storageā€¦

Depends on whether youā€™re still plotting to the drive I guess. Thatā€™s a solid alternative.

yes, plotman is a great tool. I am not aiming to reinvent the wheel, I am focusing on autoplotting and autohealing features mostly, also remote management.

4 Likes

So this morning I went to set more plots before work and I looked at my external hard drive that already had 30 plots on it and the drive is empty, not a single byte written on it. How could this have happened. Could I have written to many plots and it overwrote itself or could the drive have lost power somehow?? Am I missing some key thing here???

1 Like

welcome to the club.

i also had a full 16TB plots inside one folder and accidently deleted.

just head up, and continue making more.

btw, do try to use any undelete program, weill consume you time, and plots will become inavalid most of the times

1 Like