Should I prevent farming duplicate plots?

Hey guys, new miner here(only to chia :))!

I would ask if having duplicate plots will affect the chances of winning a block? For example, with 5 PCs(set up as harvesters) in a local network, all the PCS are connected to a main PC. These 5 PCs does plot and share the folders to the main PC. The main PC has all the plots from all these PCs via shared folder, hence, there will be many duplicates since all the pcs are also has these plots farming.

Is this an issue and should I prevent the farming of duplicate plots?

Thank you!

You should avoid farming duplicate plots, but the farming client will detect and ignore duplicates in my experience…

1 Like

You can quickly identify duplicated plots with

chia plots check -n 0 -l
  • -n 0 is used to bypass the check
  • -l is used to list duplicates.
2 Likes

You will get an error in the debug log that lists the duplicate plots. Prior versions could have crashed a harvester if they were there but you get a log error now.

PS C:\Users\rb653504\AppData\Local\chia-blockchain\app-1.2.11\resources\app.asar.unpacked\daemon> .\chia plots check -n 0 -l
2021-12-27T12:30:37.696 chia.plotting.check_plots : WARNING Not opening plot files
2021-12-27T12:30:37.701 chia.plotting.check_plots : WARNING Checking for duplicate Plot IDs
2021-12-27T12:30:37.701 chia.plotting.check_plots : INFO Plot filenames expected to end with -[64 char plot ID].plot

Any ideas

I’ve never checked plots, but this line leads me to believe you have a badly named plot.
So I’d geuss its corrupted, or in the process of being moved.

Personally, if its 1 plot, I’d just bin it.

Hello, On other sites it seems that the -n 0 doesn’t check or open the plot, that why the error. This should be changed maybe.

If I do a .\chia plots check -n 1 -l it does a small check.