• Dell R420
  • Dell MD1000 Disk Shelf
  • SC846
  • Dell T620
  • Dell R710
  • Dell r210ii (not in shot here)
  • 2x APC UPS

2 Likes

Here is what I came up with on my quest of being as compact as I can. Avg temps are around 35 to 40. 22 drives in total + 1 ssd

3 Likes

what case is that? must have been a bit of a challenge with the cables :exploding_head:

Yeah, it is cable abuse and hdd abuse. The case is a Corsair Obsidian 750d, but had to buy 4 additional drive cages. I got another obsidian for less than half the price on ebay and will be moving 6 drives to it. This case is designed for 16 drives, not 22.

1 Like

This setup didn’t age well with the introduction of madmax!

2 Likes

I just left the drives on top. :grinning:

1 Like

Finally I want to show off my setup as well…
1.My plotting PC setup (temporarily in one room)
Not very cost effective setup ,I have to admit…especially after Mad Max came out…
(well, At least, I keep it organized quite well now)

2.My farming setup in Garage.-1 preparation stage

3.My farming setup in Garage.-2 competed stage
still not very cost effective compared with some HDD case, but at least ,it looks good
and make me feel safe…
4 X 720XD 12 bay old server
1 X home made 24 bay with complete built up by myself with different parts order online…

4 Likes

glad to meet you in the forum, follow your YouTube channel as well, quite helpful…

1 Like

Nice 2 meet you also. Very nice setup! Really clean, garage? setup. I like it a lot! Nice 24 bay DIY nas, got parts list? Im outta room and another sc846 doesnt look to be in the books at the prices they are right now. How many plots/day total?

2 Likes

HDDcoin is holding a Contest for the most unique Chia farming rigs.

Check out some crazy rigs at their Discord:

and submit yours to compete :slight_smile:

If you don’t mind me asking, what part of the country do you live in? If you live in the US lol. I’m thinking about setting up in a garage, but I live in South GA! The heat and humidity is INTENSE! Also, wouldn’t be running as many servers as you either though. Just curious…

Sure, My pleasure.
Most of My the plotting was done in June. back then, I was able to archive around 130-140 plot with my 4 PC (5900X/5800X/10850K/2950X with tons of NVMEs) before Mad Max came out.
currently I reach 7000 Plots, but not intend to add any more at the moment now.

Now I am more focusing on learning Linux and server setup for study purpose.
After all, it will be a waist for my RX720xd to be just for farming Chia…
So I add 2 X2670 V2 CPU and 280G DDR3 Memory into one of the 720xd and install Ubuntu and started to learning Mad Max in Linux with actually your Video guide on YouTube since last 2 weeks.
It is so amazing that I meet you here in person while I still watching your video several hours ago… quite excited at the moment…

For the 24 bay farmer machine setup:
CPU: E5-2630L v2 (spared),
RAM: 16G 1600HZ ECC DDR(spared)
MB: SuperMicro X9SRA (100 USD from Ali) with 4 PCIE slot ( necessary for 3 HBA card and one 10G network card)
24-bay Rig with back panel & Fan : (250 USD from Ali)
PSU: 750W gold sea-sonic
HBA: 3 HBA card with 2008-IT mode(1 spared, purchased 2 additional,50 USD each from Ali)
added one 14inch Fan blow on top of 3 HBA cards, quite hot for the chip…
System disk: Intel S3510 480Gb(spared)
Network: Intel X520 10G network card (spared)

2 Likes

Well, Actually I live quite far away from you, in Shanghai , China ( like New York).
But man, trust me, I shared the same feeling for you ,since here in Summer, we also reach 100F as well , for humidity, we just suffer a storm and it was raining all weeks until yesterday…
What I could do is just install an AC in my Garage, Big Fans which I installed earlier is just not good enough right now during summer time…
The good part being in China, is that it only took me 1 day for ordering the AC online and deliver to my home and another day of waiting after on call booking of installation. And the AC only cost me 300 USD including installation…
So only 2 days after I click the order button on my Phone, I got my AC installed in my Garage.
I do need it running for at least 2-3 month of summer time during the year.

For some easy AC installation solution, I suggest you watch @ DigitalSpaceport 's YouTube channel, he just release a video on the portable AC solution several days ago, which maybe helpful to you as well.

I’m on a Findchia on such a farm. But I’m still building up momentum. There will be 6 such racks _)

1 Like

nice case! what make and model?

Todays DIY project. Total cost: €5,39

In hindsight I should have fit 12 as I now have leftover sata connectors, but hey better luck next time :joy:

1 Like

Nice, is that U-shaped extrusion or square profile at the bottom? Also is it something that comes predrilled or did you have to do it?

It’s Aluminium U-profile 20x20x20 2mm

Unfortunately, not pre-drilled and metal is not as forgiving as wood, so you have to be quite precise or the screws won’t fit. (this is my try number 2 :sweat_smile:)

Nice, I’m in the process of building a new mega disk rack and just making sure I haven’t missed anything that might make it a bit easier, I could just buy some JBODs but where’s the fun in that.

So, back to trying to convince my significant other that a CNC milling machine is an ‘essential purchase’ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah having the right tools makes life a lot easier. A CNC machine would be really sweet but a bit overkill for my modest needs :joy:

I was a bit limited in the types of aluminum profiles they had at the hardware store, but the U-profile 2mm thick worked really well, you still have access on one side to use regular size screws but because of the u-shape there is almost no flex in the material so no need for a lot of support on the bottom. My goal here was to create something that would not require active cooling as my rig is basically in the living room so I try to minimize noise production.

So far the drives have kept between 25-39C and that is sitting on top of the plotter, so not exactly the coolest place in the room.

1 Like