Show off your rigs!

Digging the hard disk mouse pad.

4 Likes

So many NUCs, so little time. Searching on Amazon for NUCs is an insane exercise. Can anyone point me in the direction of a tasty little number for less than $1K?

you mean before this Chia article https://chiadecentral.com/nuc-small-form-factor-plotting-build/ or after?? :wink:

1 Like

Here is my humble setup with which I am able to plot 2.5 plots per day. I am using my old Lenovo ThinkPad X230 with dual core i5, 12GB of RAM, and SK Hynix Gold S31 500GB SATA SSD. For plot storage I am using external USB 3.0 Toshiba 2TB 2.5 inch drive along with 6TB WD Elements 3.5 inch drive. I began plotting at the end of March and have 55 plots right now. Will probably join a pool once that functionality will become available as for small fry like me chances of winning are dwindling by the minute.

4 Likes

My humble little plotting setup from whatever scraps I had laying around. I learned all too quickly to disable the automatic power manager that suspends the machine after locking it for a while… :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Getting started on #4 for me!!

:point_up: Look at all that space for making money

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x 8c/16t
128GB Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz
evga 650GT PS
ASUS ROG B450-F Gaming II
ASUS Hyper M.2 v4
250GB Samsung 870 evo (OS install)
4x 2TB inland m.2 SSD (fast temp)
2x 8TB WD MyShare “shucked” (plot storage)
Fractal design define r6 (11 bay 3.5)

3 Likes

I’ve been a big fan of AMD’s Ryzen work but never really needed a bunch of cores before now, so I couldn’t justify the jump until AMD bridged the per-thread performance gap… which they did with Zen 3!

So I took the plunge and built up a 5950x (16c/32t) machine via CyberPowerPC:

I do like the In-Win 101 case, the OS drive is mounted on the back, and it’s an ASUS mobo and the ASUS Hyper card with the 4 M.2 slots in the primary PCI slot with bifurcation enabled, so all told:

• 5950x 16c/32t, 64gb RAM
  • Two mobo M.2 ports
    1. 980 pro 2tb
    2. 980 pro 2tb
  • 8 mobo SATA ports
    1. 480gb OS WD green SSD (back-mounted)
    2. 12tb plot dump drive
    3. 12tb plot dump drive
    4. 18tb farming drive
    5. 18tb farming drive
    6. 18tb farming drive
    7. 18tb farming drive
    8. 18tb farming drive
  • PCI 4x Asus HYPER PCI 4x card with 4 full speed M.2 slots
    1. 980 pro 2tb
    2. 980 pro 2tb
    3. 980 pro 2tb
    4. 980 pro 2tb
  • PCI 1x card with 4 SATA slots
    1. 18tb farming drive
    2. empty
    3. empty
    4. empty
  • PCI GeForce 1030 GT video card (I wish I could have gone with something even more low end, but I had to have something to drive video, there’s no onboard GPU with the 5950x…)

I bought a cheap 5 drive cage and mounted it in the bottom there with double sided tape. Not sure I want to put too many more drives in here as I need room for the fans and it gets weird with space.

I used fancy high-strength velcro to mount the fan above the drives (on the top and right), this case is a little odd in that air has to come in from the bottom – notice the three 120mm fan mounts – or the right hand side panel which has air cuts:

All the fan headers are filled with the 2 case fans. My one regret is I should have gone for a beefier water cooling solution.

But yeah, full tower 5950x is an awesome Chia plotting/farming monster config! Go team AMD! :green_square:

11 Likes

That in-win case is slick looking!! but what’s up with the 4x16GB modules?? if they went 2x32GB you’d have two slots free!! THOSE HARD DRIVES THOUGH :heart_eyes: By the way @codinghorror whats the technical term for that tan colored thing under the top seagate??

1 Like

Heh that’s my cardboard spacer! lol

edit: I have updated my pic with better use of SATA cable bundles. These SATA cable bundles are sweet and I highly recommend them:

I have a 6 bundle and 4 bundle in there; the 4 covers the top 3 drives, and the 6 covers the bottom 5.

I’m also gonna swap out those 12tb drives for 18tb, for maximum density. I think 8 drives (2 top, 5 bottom, 7 visible; one 3.5" ssd mounted on the back side for the OS) is the practical limit for this case. I gotta research simple external drive enclosures, no NAS just drives attached to the computer in bulk…

3 Likes

16x 12TB that I need to plot… faster.

14 Likes

OK - that’s damn sexy

2 Likes

Curious: what’s your average transfer speeds look like on those from your plotter to the dnap?

This is working well for me, is cheap, and looks nice too: Yottamaster Aluminum Alloy 4 Bay 2.5/3.5 Inch Type C External Hard Drive Enclosure USB3.1 Gen1

4 Likes

Hey!

Here is my small rig using a NUC.

The R2D2 is just there to prevent accidentally hitting the power off button. :laughing:

9 Likes

Averaging about 20 minutes to copy a plot to the QNAP NAS over the network. They are right next to each other and connected to the same router.

1 Like

YOU SIR are an innovator!! :laughing:

1 Like

Your script is very much needed, please share it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Sure. Will upload to my github and share the link.

3 Likes

2 plotting NUCs some external hdds and a icybox jbod full of disks. Plus a raspberry pi for farming.

7 Likes

72TB

3900x
64gb ram

7 Likes